All About Armonk

North Castle Daily News

Father John Quinn of Church St Patrick of Armonk

Reverend John F. Quinn
By Louise T. Gantress

January 20, 2016
A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated January 19 for Reverend John F. Quinn by His Eminence Timothy Michael Cardinal Dolan at the Church of St. Patrick in Armonk.

Father Quinn had been pastor at the church from 1994 until his retirement in 2013. His ministry was known for his strong faith, and outreach beyond the parish itself to the community at large.

His humor was also well known. One story told during the Mass referred to a time in Rome, when Dennis Sullivan, his co-seminarian and friend, was to be ordained as bishop. Fr. Quinn did not have a cassock, in fact he did not use one. He did love the color red, and often wore a red sweater. The future bishop asked Fr. Quinn and another priest, who wore proper attire for the ceremony, to walk with him to Pope Benedict XVI. JQ, as Fr. Quinn was sometimes called, later remarked that the Pope looked at him as they passed his chair.

Fr. Quinn graduated from Fordham College. He earned a Masters in History at Fordham University and a Master of Divinity from St. Joseph Seminary in Yonkers. He later completed course work for a doctorate degree in Biblical Studies at Fordham University.

He was ordained a priest at St. Patrick Cathedral in 1971. He taught at Archbishop Stepinac High School and Maria Regina High School, and served as vicar at Our Lady of Sorrows in White Plains, before coming to Armonk. He expanded the religious education program and oversaw construction of St. Patrick’s St. Francis Hall for athletic activities and church related events.

Father Quinn was the devoted son of Margaret and John Quinn. He is survived by cousins Pauline Weldon and John Corless. Besides his cousins from Ireland, England and Australia, parishioners and friends, and priests and other religious attended the funeral service. Interment followed the Mass at the Gate of Heaven Cemetery.

Father Quinn is known for popularizing the phrase, “God Bless the whole World, no exceptions!”

Helena Anneke Verhave
Helena “Anneke” Verhave

October 5, 2015
Helena “Anneke” Verhave, 86, of Armonk, NY, and Falmouth, MA, the wife of the late Thom Verhave, passed away on October 1st, 2015 at Alden Court in Fairhaven, Massachusetts.

A daughter of the late Robert and Helena Baan, she was born in Caracas, Venezuela.  She was educated in the Netherlands and came to the US to attend Barnard College, graduating with the class of 1951.  She later received her Master’s degree in early childhood education from Manhattanville College.

Mrs. Verhave worked as an elementary school teacher at the Columbus Magnet School in Norwalk, CT.  She enjoyed her pets, gardening, and folk and classical music, and she volunteered as a mentor in the Falmouth Public Schools after retiring.

She was a loving mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother who cherished her time spent with family and friends.  Her family includes a son, Menno Verhave, and his wife Judy of Wellesley, a son, Eric Verhave, and his wife Lucy of Poughquag, NY, and a daughter, Marya Verhave Gabriel, and her husband Stefan of Mattapoisett – six grandchildren, Alex, Daniel, Caitlin and Jessica Verhave, and Sofia and Emma Gabriel – and two great-grandchildren, Isabel and Madeline Verhave.  She was the sister of Wilhelmina Fledderjohn, and Leonarda Van der Werf.

A private ceremony of remembrance will be held by close friends and family. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in her memory to:  the Alzheimer’s Association National Office, 225 N. Michigan Ave., FL. 17, Chicago, IL  60601.

In Memory of June MacInnes

July 13, 2015
June MacInnes, 88, of Harrison passed away surrounded by family on Sunday, July 12. June was born in Brooklyn to Tom and Jessie French, and raised in Armonk, along with her two brothers, Tom, aka Sonny, and Ken. Her parents founded Armonk Lumber Company where June was a bookkeeper for many years. Later, she worked at Empire Wallboard in Elmsford and then back in Armonk at Enchanted Toys.

June was active in the White Plains Emblem Club where she served as president of the club. She also loved square dancing for many years with the Mt. Pleasant Squares.

June was pre-deceased by her parents; her husband of nearly 55 years, Ewen, aka Muggs; her grandson, Ewen; and her brother, Sonny.

June is survived by 6 children, 15 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren. They are: Jim (Jan) of Sleepy Hollow, Missy (Josh), JJ (Erica), and Melody (Mario); Bob (Carole) of West Redding, CT, Rob (Kim) and Ted (Val); Jeanne Waful (Ken) of Katonah, Chris, Jeff, and Tim; Tom (Renee) of Danbury, CT, Kaylan Vasquez (Jose), Gabi, Sophia and Anna, and Sarah; Joanne Peterson (Phil) of Pt. Chester, Bryan and Katie; John (Sharon) of Harrison, Johnny, Jenny, and Kevin.

Friends may call at the Oelker-Cox & Sinatra Funeral Home, 262 East Main Street, Mount Kisco, on Wednesday June 15, from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. The funeral service will be at Oelker-Cox & Sinatra Funeral Home on Thursday at 10:00 a.m. followed by interment at White Plains Rural Cemetery, on North Broadway, North White Plains.

Mary Beth Weston and Marth Stewart
Marybeth Weston Lobdell, Armonk Writer, Editor, and Original Member of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, Dies at 88

March 31, 2015
Marybeth Little Weston Lobdell, charter board member of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, garden editor of House & Garden magazine, writer for The New York Times Magazine and a mentor to poet Sylvia Plath, died on March 19 in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. She was 88.

The cause was complications from breast cancer and Parkinson’s disease.

In April 1953, as Mademoiselle magazine’s college department editor, she sent a telegram to the 20-year-old Sylvia Plath telling her she’d won a guest editorship. Plath biographer Elizabeth Winder wrote, “Marybeth Little greeted the girls, handing out memos on Mademoiselle’s ice pink paper. She was...eight months pregnant and looked fresh and pretty in a crisp black A-line dress with a white collar and black sling-back heels. Her look was modish, her manners cultivated and relaxed. The guest editors adored her instantly.”

The following year, The New York Times Magazine editor Lester Markel hired Ms. Lobdell as one of the publication’s first female deskmen. She liked that her desk had belonged to poet Joyce Kilmer who wrote “Trees.” She wrote many articles for The Magazine, as well as poems, essays and articles for Redbook, Cosmopolitan, House Beautiful, McCall’s, The Village Voice,   Saturday Evening Post and Good Housekeeping. Her essay "The Marrying Kind" was anthologized in Thoughts of Home.

Ms. Lobdell (then Marybeth Weston) was garden editor of House & Garden magazine from 1970 to 1982. While there, she wrote two books, Decorating with Plants and 26 Easy Little Gardens.

She was a charter member of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin, Tex. in 1982 and, with her late sister Norah Little Green, established the Little House for children who visit the Center. This was in honor of her parents, Dr. and Mrs. J. A. Little. After retirement, she wrote the one-woman play The Comanche with Blue Eyes, inspired by the life of captured pioneer Cynthia Ann Parker. She performed her play at the LBJ Ranch and elsewhere, and Texas Plains Trails will publish The Comanche with Blue Eyes in the summer of 2015.

Mary Elizabeth Little was born in 1927 in Wichita Falls, Tex., and was a graduate of Agnes Scott College in Decatur, Ga., where she hosted Robert Frost during a campus visit and was elected May Queen. She served as president of the college’s alumnae association and as a trustee.

She was married for 29 years to William R. Weston, a Peabody award-winning television producer who died in 1982. They lived in Armonk. In 1985, she married her former boss, Lewis Bergman, longtime editor of The New York Times Magazine, and lived with him in Manhattan and Provincetown, Mass. He died three years later. She is survived by her husband, Leighton M. Lobdell, whom she married in 1991, and three children, writers Mark, Eric and Carol Weston, all graduates of Byram Hills High School. She is also survived by their respective spouses, Linda Richichi, writer Cynthia Weston, and playwright Rob Ackerman--and three grandchildren. Ms. Lobdell was able to attend the wedding of her granddaughter and namesake, Elizabeth Ackerman, by Skype five days before her death.

Among Ms. Lobdell’s published poems was a response to Dylan Thomas’s “Do not go gentle into that good night.” Her last line was this: “Let me go, and gently say, ‘good night.’”

In lieu of flowers, please consider making a donation to The Native Plant Center of Westchester Community College , 75 Grasslands Road, Valhalla, NY 10595.

A memorial is set for June 27 in Armonk.

Carolyn Billet, North Castle Community Volunteer, Dies at Age 57

Carolyn Painter Billet, a long-time North Castle resident and community volunteer, died peacefully yesterday evening at her home after a long-fought battle with cancer. A woman of grace, dignity and courage, she was 57.
Born on September 28, 1957 in Upper Darby, PA, she was the daughter of William and Mary (Igoe) Painter. She grew up in Millis, MA and was graduated from Wellesley College in 1979. She received an MBA from Boston University in 1983 and worked for Blue Cross/Blue Shield in both Chicago and New York City until the time of her marriage.  

She was married to Thomas Charles Billet on August 10, 1991 in Pound Ridge, NY and settled in North Castle. He survives her as does their son, Matthew Painter Billet, a senior at Hamilton College.

Mrs. Billet was an interior designer for Susan Lifton Interiors in Bedford, NY for 10 years. In addition to her professional work, she was active in various Armonk organizations, particularly St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church and the Friends of the North Castle Public Library. She was a member of the vestry at St. Stephen’s, sang in the choir, was a lay reader and head of Treasures, the church’s charitable thrift shop. Her involvement with the North Castle Library involved active participation in the Armonk Outdoor Art Show, the Friends’ major fund-raising event, serving as a member of the jurying committee, as well as chairwoman of the Friends’ membership committee. In 2013, Mrs. Billet was honored as Friend of the Year for her contributions to the Friends’ organization.

Mrs. Billet is also survived by a brother, Stephen Painter of Boston, MA, as well as her father-in-law Daniel Billet and brother-in-law Dan Billet of Hastings-on-Hudson, NY; her sister-in-law and her husband, Jane and Andrew Morgan, of White Plains, NY; and sister-in-law, Marian Norman of Eastchester, NY.

A visitation will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. and from 7 to 9 p.m. on Sunday, January 25 at Oelker and Cox Funeral Home, 262 East Main Street, Mount Kisco. A memorial service will be held at 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, January, 28 at St. Stephen’s Church, Bedford Road, Armonk. Interment at Middle Patent Rural Cemetery, Banksville will be private.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that contributions in Mrs. Billet’s name be made to Hospice Care in Westchester and Putnam, 540 White Plains Road, Suite 300, Tarrytown, NY 10591.

Patricia MacLea Coombs

July 2, 2014
Patricia MacLea Coombs, 78, a resident of Armonk for 48 years, passed away Monday June 30.  She was born April 16, 1936 in Bronxville, NY, the daughter of Robert Kenneth MacLea and Jane Emerson MacLea. She was a graduate of Rye High School and Berkley Secretarial School.

On July 4, 1957, Patricia married George C. Coombs in White Plains, NY. They celebrated 57 years of happy marriage.   

Patricia, known to her friends as Pat, was an accomplished artist, loved gardening and had a gift for flower arranging.   She was passionate in her role as a Classroom Aide for many years at HC Crittenden Middle School in Armonk.    

Patricia is survived by her husband George, a sister Donna Hamilton and her husband Dean of Phoenix, AZ and a brother Robert Kenneth MacLea III and his wife Darlene of San Diego, CA and is predeceased by her sister Barbara Sexton.

Patricia is also survived, by her children Kenneth Coombs and his wife Karen of Purchase, NY, Donna Hastings and her husband John of LaGrange, NY, Stephen Coombs and his wife Sally of Perth, Western Australia and Peter Coombs and his wife Marlene of Danbury, CT as well as six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. 

Visitation will be from 5 to 9 p.m. on Thursday July 3 at McMahon, Lyon and Hartnett Funeral Home, 491 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains, NY. 

A memorial service will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday July 5 at Hillside Church, 448 Bedford Rd, Armonk, NY.

Armonk Methodist Church
Mildred Wago
1918 - 2013

by Juliet Cobblah

Who is death?
Killer of the giants
Men and women
Young and Old
Rich and Poor
The strong and the weak
When death enters into a house
Before it comes out of the house, all
The people become motherless,
Fatherless, husbandless, childless.
And again, cries a lot
I don't know what really hit
Grandma Wago
And I don't understand.

Mildred Wago, Dedicated Mother and North Castle Receiver of Taxes, Dies at 95

Mildred H. Wago died peacefully on August 25, 2013 at her home on Wago Avenue in Armonk, surrounded by her family. The former North Castle Receiver of Taxes, beloved wife and mother was 95 years old.

Mildred Wago was born on August 16, 1918 in the Bronx to Gunhild Olsen Hogan and Andrew J. Hogan. She moved to White Plains when she was 10 years old and was graduated from White Plains High School in 1936. Upon graduation, Mildred, affectionately known as Millie, went to IBM Business School in White Plains.

Mildred received her business degree and was hired by the Metropolitan Insurance Company in New York City, commuting from White Plains. She worked for Met Life for the next 13 years, including after her marriage to Charles Wago.

The caretaker of Agnew Farm (now IBM headquarters in Armonk), John Coupe and his wife Roberta (Coupie and Aunt Bertie) introduced Mildred to Charlie Wago. He was a life-long resident of Armonk, having been born in his parents home on Whippoorwill Road. On November 24, 1949, Mildred and Charlie were married and they settled in Armonk on Old Mount Kisco Road. They had two daughters, Linda and Charlene, both of whom live in North Castle. The Wago daughters grew up in a historical home that was a gas station on Route 128 that is now the Wine Geeks. The Wagos were dear friends with Mary and Buddy Schultz, the first generation of Schultz's Cider Mill; Millie was Mary's maid of honor at their marriage.

Charlie's parents, who were from Hungary, moved to what-is-now Armonk's Wago Avenue when it was a large farm; it was eventually subdivided into a residential neighborhood. Charlie's father, Charlie and his brother, Joe, built the road now called Wago Avenue. Elizabeth Place that was named after Charlie's mother.

Mildred's mother, Gunhild Olsen, was from Norway; she married Andrew Hogan, a caretaker of a small estate, which is now an apartment building on Old Mamaroneck Road, in White Plains. Mildred's daughters, Linda and Charlene, said that as young girls, they heard tales of how their grandfather would on occasion have a couple of beers with New York Yankee Babe Ruth and the couple would have the pro golfer Ben Hogan (no relation) over for dinner.  

In 1960, Mildred Wago began her outstanding career in North Castle's tax office, when she was appointed to work there part-time and the following year was named Deputy Receiver of Taxes. A staunch Republican her entire life, she was elected Receiver of Taxes in 1970 and subsequently re-elected seven times to become the longest actively serving Receiver of Taxes in Westchester County. She served during a period of development as the tax rolls grew to over 5,000 properties. She modernized the tax office, introducing computer technology in 1991. Mildred received a proclamation from the North Castle Town Board for her services to North Castle after her retirement after 41 years of dedicated service on December 31, 2001.

Mrs. Wago also served as regional vice president of the Westchester County Receiver of Taxes and later was president of that group. She was inducted into 1993-94 Who's Who of American Global Leadership of Outstanding Achievement. In addition, she served her community as member, finance chairman and president of the North Castle American Legion Auxiliary Unit 1097 where she served as chairlady for many years of the Empire State Girls Leadership Program that honored outstanding Byram Hills High School girls. Mildred continued to earn the admiration and respect of all who know her as a life member of the North Castle Historical Society and numerous children's programs in Armonk. In recognition of her community service, the City of White Plains, under the office of Mayor Joseph Delfino, proclaimed April 5, 2002 as Mildred H. Wago Day. In 2008, Mildred was awarded the Pat Bresha award from The Armonk Lions Club for distinguished community service.

Mildred Wago died gracefully and peacefully, always smiling, says her daughter Charlene. "Even when the grandkids came, she was always blowing kisses, putting her arms up, hugging us, saying I love you." She was a very strong and determined woman who did not want to give in. Three weeks ago when she asked her daughter Linda how much longer she had to live, Linda said, "I don't know, Mom, only God knows. He only knows how much longer I have to live too."

Mildred was predeceased by her loving husband, Charles L. Wago, and her sister, Gladys Evans who lived to be 96 years old. Mildred was a loving and devoted mother to her two daughters, Linda and husband, Richard Herbst, and Charlene and husband, William Decker. She was a loving grandmother to Kim Leary, Tiffany and Christie Herbst, and Billy, Samantha, and Kevin Decker. Mildred also was the proud great-grandmother to Matt and Jack Leary. She is also survived by many nieces and nephews as well as many devoted friends.

The Wago daughters plan to celebrate their mother's life and invite friends to call at the Oekler-Cox and Sinatra Funeral Home, 262 Main Street, Mt. Kisco, NY on Tuesday, September 3, from 2 to 4 p.m. and from 7 to 9 p.m. Funeral services will be held at the Armonk United Methodist Church on Bedford Road in Armonk, NY, next to North Castle Town Hall, on Wednesday, September 4, at 11 a.m. Interment at Middle Patent Cemetery will immediately follow. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Hospice of Westchester and Putnam, 540 White Plains Road, Suite 300, Tarrytown, NY 10591. 

Rosemary Buonocore

Caroline A. (Merrill) Trovato, 88, of Armonk, N.Y., passed away on Friday afternoon, Feb. 1, 2013, at the Watch Hill Care & Rehab Facility in Westerly, Rhode Island. She was predeceased by her husband, George Trovato in 2004.

She is survived by her eight children; sons Joseph Trovato, of Stony Point, N.Y.; George Trovato Jr., of Dallas, Penn.; Tony Trovato, of Nashville, Tenn.; and Charles Trovato, of Mahopac, N.Y.; and daughters Liz Trovato of NYC; Angela Verdon, of Wilmington, N.C.; Rosemary Buonocore, of Westerly, RI; and Luisa DiOrio, of New York City; her brother and sister-in-law, George and Louise Merrill, of Hampton Falls, N.H.; a sister, Marjorie Davies, of Brentwood, N.H., 16 grandchildren, six great-grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.

Mrs. Trovato was born in Hampton Falls, N.H., on May 19, 1924, the daughter of the late Russell P. and Elizabeth (Cutts) Merrill. After graduating from Keene State College in 1946, Caroline was a school teacher for the town of Exeter, N.H. She was a member of the Garden Club and the Women's Guild of St. Patrick's Church, both of Armonk, N.Y.

Caroline was an avid reader and Scrabble player and will be remembered for always having a home-baked good on hand. She enjoyed going to the library and the beach but most of all, she enjoyed her family.

Tragic Death of Armonk Soccer Coach

October 10, 2012

Supervisor Howard Arden read a letter aloud at the Town Board meeting on October 10, 2012, from Melinda Ganeles, President of Armonk United and Castleford Rover Soccer Clubs. 

"It is with great sadness that I send this update informing you of Michael Jones' tragic and sudden death. He was a vital member of the Armonk United Soccer team for the last five years. He took great pride in his work with the children and was extremely dedicated to our soccer community. He was a warm and funny person, a wonderful coach and was a positive role model for those in the soccer community. He had such an incredibly positive impact on so many children. He will be greatly missed by all of our families." 

A police investigation revealed a video tape that showed Jones had an argument with the suspected killer. Initially, police believed that the suspect, Orlando Orea, might have mistakenly identified Jones for someone who had been involved in a fight during the early morning hours on Sunday at Bunga's Den, a bar on West 14th Street. This location is close to where Jones' body was discovered, between Fifth and Sixth Avenue. 

Orea is an illegal alien with a criminal record. He boarded a flight to Mexico, his native country, on Sunday morning. The international authorities are working together to locate Orea.

William E. Barrett
William E. Barrett passed away May 3, 2011 at Albemarle Hospital, in Elizabeth City NC.  Bill was born in White Plains, NY.  He was the son of the late George L. Barrett, Sr. and Elizabeth Stanfield Barrett, and the brother of the late George L. Barrett, Jr. who died in 1974. He was predeceased by his sister- in- law Helen R. Galvin. Bill was also predeceased by his nephew, Barry  F. Galvin.

Bill grew up in White Plains, NY, attended White Plains High School, was a star baseball player, and attained the rank of Eagle Scout.  Bill then joined the United States Navy in 1942 and served his country bravely in the European and Pacific Theaters of World War II.  Following his military service, Bill met and married his lifetime love, Margaret E. Culyer. Bill joined the Metropolitan Golf Course Association and he joined the Power Boat Association of the East Coast. Bill was also a licensed pilot for fixed-wing aircraft.  

The couple eventually moved to Armonk, NY to raise their family.  In Armonk, Bill founded his own business,   Austin & Barrett, Inc. - a light industrial turf equipment and services company affiliated with International Harvester.  The company specialized in golf courses and public institutions throughout the Westchester County area and Connecticut.  Bill and Margaret grew the business into a successful venture over 28 years.  While in Armonk, he was active in the Armonk Little League, the Armonk  Dad’s Club,  the Bird and Bottle Club, and organized the Yale Farms Softball Team.  Besides his extensive civic and sports activities, Bill was an avid hunter, fisherman, and golfer.

In 1988, Bill retired to Cranberry Lake, NY where he indulged in his favorite past times.  Always active, Bill was a member of Clifton Fine Golf Course as well as the Cranberry Lake Boat Club and the local hunting club. In later years, Bill and Margaret wintered regularly in the Outer Banks and Florida.
William Barrett leaves to cherish his memory, his devoted wife of 65 years Margaret E. Barrett of Cranberry Lake; three sons, William G. Barrett and wife Joan of Ridgefield, CT,  Ronald C. Barrett of Southern Shores, N C.,  Wayne E. Barrett and wife Sandy of Denver, Co.;  four  grandchildren, Tiffany L. Barrett, William J. Barrett, Olivia E. Barrett, and Halayna S. Barrett; four nieces, Brenda Ouimette of Armonk,  Arlene Mills of Charlestown, RI, Karen Jacobs of Alpharetta, GA, and Karol Parsons of North Royalton, two nephews Bruce M. Galvin of Vero Beach, Fl., and Robert C. Galvin of Baltimore, MD.; his sister-in-law Janice F. Rawson of Alpharetta, GA and a host of extended family members and dear friends.

Plans for a memorial service with military honors at Kensico Cemetery in Valhalla, NY are pending. Family and friends will also gather for remembrance at St. Hubert’s in Star Lake, NY at a future date.  Condolences to the Barrett family may be expressed via the on-line register at  
Ray Bell
Ray Bell
Walter Raymond Bell, Armonk’s “Eagle Poet” Dies at 90
Published June 18, 2011
Walter “Ray” Bell, Armonk’s unofficial poet laureate and loyal Life Member of the North Castle American Legion Post 1097 passed away peacefully on May 23, 2011, one week prior to the annual North Castle Memorial Day parade and remembrances that the two-time purple heart recipient faithfully attended every year. He was 90.
A man of many talents, including more than 50 poems written about his faith, the Marines, love of country, nature and animals, Bell may have been best known in North Castle for his earnest involvement to keep the American Eagle landmark at its post on the hill above town, erected here at the 1976 commemoration of the country’s bicentennial. His poem “Old Glory” reflected the beauty and pride he felt each time he passed the large flag, which has been flying at the corner of Routes 22 and 128 for the past 35 years. Bell liked to refer to it possessively.
“It was ‘his’ eagle, and ‘his’ flag,” remembered Bell’s only daughter, Gail Bell-Malloy. “He took such pride in watching it being built and placed on the hill, a landmark for all of us.”
Growing up and still residing in Armonk, Ms. Bell-Malloy and her husband Michael Malloy recently spoke lovingly about her dad, noting his loyalty to his God and country, pride in being a Marine, his love of nature, photography and his devotion to his daughter.
“My dad was always there for me, even in those wild teenage years,” she smiled. “He taught me to trust in my faith, rely on it and in myself during tough times. He gave me a love of nature and a view of the world I would never have seen if he hadn’t taken the time to show me.”
The son of Mildred L. Bell and Walter R. Bell, Sr., and younger brother of Elaine Bell Leavens and Marjorie Bell Alger, Ray was born in Port Chester, NY on October 30, 1920, moving to Armonk with his family nine years later, marrying Thelma Lee Daffer in 1944 and raising his daughter here. He was often consulted as an honored Armonk old timer on the historical points of our hamlet’s events and community life.
“He knew the town so well that people found him a wealth of information,” Ms. Bell-Malloy remembered. “He wasn’t happy with the changes in town, the fast pace and he felt there was a loss of community outreach, that there wasn’t as much involvement among the residents as there used to be.”
A 30-year veteran of the transportation and stock departments at the Reader’s Digest publishing company, Bell was also a proud veteran of WWII. He enlisted in the Naval Reserves in 1940. On March 26, 1941 he became a Marine, serving with the second division B 1-2 where he saw action in the Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan and Tinian campaigns. His two purple hearts were awarded for wounds sustained as a machine gunner on Guadalcanal and later on Tarawa.
A community “joiner” he was an active member of the North Castle Historical Society; Adirondack Campers, St. Patrick’s Church in Bedford, and the Mianus River Gorge Society.
Bell is survived by his daughter Gail, her husband Michael, seven nieces and nephews, 16 great nieces and great nephews.

Donations honoring Bell may be made to: The Marine Corps League, P.O. Box 3070, Merrifield, VA. 22116, or The Sisters of Life, 585 McLean Ave., Yonkers, NY. 10705.

Mary Ellen Schultz
Mary Eileen Schultz passed away peacefully in Lagrangeville, NY on Tues., Dec. 29, with family at her side. She was 98.
Schultz' cider mill armonk, ny
Mary Eileen Schultz, who, with her husband Edwin, founded and ran the highly popular Schultz’ Cider Mill in Armonk for more than 50 years.
Mary Eileen Schultz

Mary Eileen Schultz, who, with her husband Edwin, founded and ran the highly popular Schultz’ Cider Mill in Armonk for more than 50 years, passed away peacefully in Lagrangeville, NY on Tues., Dec. 29, with family at her side. She was 98.
In eulogizing his grandmother at St. Patrick’s Church in Armonk on Jan. 2, Dan Fahey remembered the love of family and the hard work that made their business a success in more ways than a commercial concern.

“All of these themes -- family, community, ambition, hard work, and pride, all of them came together at Schultz’s Cider Mill, the great institution built by Mary and Edwin that will be our family’s legacy for generations to come,” Dan noted. “Grandma was really proud of her brothers and sisters and loved telling stories about the family.”

North Castle Town Councilman Becky Kittredge reflected on her years growing up with the Shultz's and remembered Mrs. Shultz as hard working and always pleasant.

"Kathleen (Mary's daughter) and I were in the same Girl Scout troop, led by my mom, Lucille," she recalled. "I always remember Mrs. Shultz with a smile on her face and how hard working she and her whole family were in those days. They were a major part of our Armonk community for 51 years, more than half a century."  

Born on July 1, 1911 in Greenburgh, NY, Mary was the daughter of Michael and Rose (Gaffney) O’Keefe. Her father emigrated from Banteer, County Cork, Ireland in the late 1800s, spending three weeks on the boat caring for the cattle in steerage in exchange for his passage. Her mother’s family ran a 350-acre dairy farm in Potsdam, NY and when Michael and Rose met at a dance in Manhattan, marrying and starting that family legacy that touched thousands of people over the years. Edwin and Mary married in 1939, and moved from Valhalla to Armonk, opening Schultz’s Cider Mill in 1951. Edwin himself dug the foundation and built the original shed on Old Route 22, selling apples, cider and plants. The stand took in $6 on its first day of business and the rest is well-remembered history to many.

Beginning in 1955, Mary traveled at 5 a.m. many mornings a week to the Bronx Terminal Market for the freshest produce available, while harvested apples came from a local nearby farm. Beginning in 1965 Bud took over the reins on the ride south, with a sibling, or in later years, sometimes one of his own children joining the trip.

The family business grew from a vegetable stand and coffee shop serving burgers and hot dogs and, in 1966, adding homemade (on the premises) doughnuts to its appeal. It soon became a landmark in Westchester and surrounding counties, a community hub for Armonk residents and area visitors who flocked to the cider mill for the “best doughnuts in the world,” according to generations of customers willing to stand in long lines on weekends for the warm, open brown paper bags filled with melt-in-your-mouth rewards for a hard-worked week.

In 2002, to honor the family contributions to the community, Town Councilwoman Kittredge organized a parade, led by a North Castle fire truck with siren blaring, to the Cider Mill. Surrounded by grateful customers, friends, family, and area residents, an impromptu tribute occurred when a microphone was passed around for people to share their thoughts on the end of an era. It was the doughnuts mentioned the most, but in each recollection, the doughnuts were woven into a memory, a symbol for the service, dedication, neighborliness, camaraderie and constancy that the Schultz’s brought to Armonk and shared with all. Mary, its staunch and loyal, loving matriarch, will be missed.

Predeceased by Edwin in 2003, Mary is survived by her five children, Rosemary Fahey; Edwin (Bud); Kathleen Oles; Donald; and Joan Murphy; ten grandchildren and ten great grandchildren. Her son Bud is currently serving a 12th year as an Armonk Fire Department  Commissioner.
Armonk Fire Department
Joe Petre
Joe Petre
The “unofficial Mayor of Armonk” passed away on June 8th, 2007 at the age of 80. Joe was a much loved for his common man sensibility and an all around good guy. As a young boy he and his family lived in the Dr. Paterno estate gate house, where his father designed and built all the windmills. At the age of 17, Joe joined the navy and served in WW11. During the 1950’s, he was a contractor, which lead to helping a young Jimmy Ross establish Hickory & Tweed; and from the mid 1980’s with Skip Beitzel. During his 48 years at the store, he was considered the ski shop’s heart and soul. Joe was a decorated 59 year member of the Armonk Fire Department and Chief in the 1960’s. In his final years he was a prodigious builder of custom birdhouses, which can be seen around town. Joe is survived by wife Kathleen, son Stephen, daughter Barbara and six grandchildren.

Dr. Pavlica service in armonk
A Memorial Mass was offered at St. Patrick's Church on January 15th for the 2nd anniversary of Dr. Robert Pavlica's death. Dr. Pavlica was noted for his unique contribution of his nationally renown Authentic Science Research Program at Byram Hills High School.
"It's a beautiful day in Armonk, U.S.A." Ben French
In Memoriam
Jeffrey Krack
September 1955 - February 2016

Jeffrey Krack passed away on February 29, 2016. He was born in Portchester, NY on September 20, 1955.

Krack started his business on the site of the Ridge Construction Company on Business Park Drive and moved to a new location at 23 High Street in 1987. Tucked away among High Street’s residential area and wooded lots is Ridge Auto Body, Inc., which has been called “Armonk’s best kept secret.” The location may be a bit obscure but its reputation was renowned by its founder in 1977.

Krack, a natural mechanic, always liked cars and studied mechanical engineering. He apprenticed at Armonk Auto Body for several years before purchasing the shop for $600, fulfilling his dream of owning and operating his own automotive business that would offer highest quality service for the best value.

His following included patrons seeking his expertise, quality workmanship, and ability to navigate through the complex auto repair process as he offered outstanding service for complete restorations and collision repairs.

Krack was on the board of directors of Middle Patent Rural Cemetery. Yearly, he took pride in maintaining and restoring some of the historic headstones at the cemetery.

Under Krack’s guidance, Ridge Auto Body, Inc. strove for complete customer satisfaction. He considered himself and his team “customer obsessive.” His gentle manor and commitment to the community will be greatly missed.

He is survived by his wife Laura Krack of Carmel, NY; and his pride and joy - their two daughters, Katelynn, and Elizabeth of Carmel New York; and his brother Peter Krack of Danbury, CT. He was the son of the late Robert and Margaret Krack.

A graveside service will be held on Friday March 4, at 11:30 a.m. at the Middle Patent Cemetery in Banksville, NY. Friends may call at the Fred D. Knapp & Son Funeral Home, 267 Greenwich Avenue. Greenwich, CT from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday March 2 and Thursday March 3. Memorial contributions may be made to the Banksville Fire Department, 33 Bedford Banksville Rd, Bedford, NY 10506.  

John G. Moore

John G. Moore of North Wales, PA passed away on Monday, December 14, 2015 at Brookdale Montgomery, North Wales, PA. He was 95.

Born in Hastings-on-Hudson, NY, Jack was a resident of Armonk, NY, Wilmington, NC, and Doylestown, PA before moving to North Wales two years ago.

Jack served as Town Attorney for North Castle for over 20 years, also representing the Planning Board and School District. He was a member, former President and Paul Harris Fellow of the Rotary Club, and was active in the North Castle American Legion Post 1097 for many years. In his leisure time, he was an avid and accomplished golfer.

Jack was a graduate of DeWitt Clinton High School of Bronx, NY. He received his Bachelor of Arts Degree from Fordham University and Bachelor of Laws from Brooklyn Law School. He was a WW II US Naval veteran, who served in the Pacific and was awarded several medals including the World War II Victory Medal.

Jack was a private practice attorney practiced law in both New York and North Carolina for many years, prior to retirement. He was appointed an Attorney and Counsellor to the United States Supreme Court in 1969.

Jack was the beloved husband of the late Dorothy Moore and former husband of the late Loretta Moore, devoted father of Barbara Moffatt and husband Andrew, Patricia Moore and husband Howard Lieberman, Virginia Gregerson, Geraldine Mackinnon and husband David, John G. Moore, Jr. and wife Yolanda, Richard Moore and wife Karin, and is also survived by 9 grandchildren.

Private cremation arrangements were under the direction of the Varcoe-Thomas Funeral Home/Central Bucks Crematory, Inc., 344 North Main Street, Doylestown, PA 18901.

Burial is to be scheduled at a later date in Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Hawthorne, NY, Westchester County.

Andrew Ecker
Andrew C. Ecker
June 5, 1987 - July 24, 2015

July 27, 2015
The following obituary was released by Andrew Ecker’s family:

It was a blessing to have had Andrew in our lives for the past 28 years. He was surrounded by his family and he is greatly missed.

We are sitting shiva at Susan Rubin’s home in NYC until Thursday July 30 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and also on Thursday July 30 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., and Friday July 31 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. They will conclude shiva in Long Island on Sunday.

Rather than gifts of food or flowers, Andrew's family would be honored to have donations sent in his memory to Andrew's beloved Dr. Sharon Gardner.

Sharon Gardner/Stephen D.Hassenfeld Center
160 East 32nd street
New York, NY 10016

We are hoping that through the research of Dr. Gardner there will be a successful treatments and a cure for these rare pediatric cancers. For further details and addresses, please contact Susan Rubin at

Andrew grew up in Windmill Farm. He was a member of Byram Hills Class of 2005. He worked at Hickory and Tweed during high school and college. He studied accounting and finance at the University of Michigan where he graduated from in 2009. In 2011, he began working at  Macquarie Group Limited in Manhattan as a financial analyst. Prior to that he worked at Pegasus Capital Advisors.

He had a younger brother Adam and a younger sister Kendall, along with parents Robert Ecker and Susan Rubin, all who survive him.

Sylvia Rogers
Sylvia Rogers
July 1937 - March 2015

Sylvia Deborah Rogers passed away peacefully from brief complications of cancer on March 4, 2015 in her Armonk, New York home of 45 years. She is survived by her husband of fifty-four years Steve Rogers, her three sons Ken (Katie), Greg (Dana) and Don (Danna), and her eight grandchildren, as well as her siblings Leonard Wolfe of New Haven, CT and Ruth Rabineau of Ruxton, MD.

Sylvia was born in London, England July 1937 to her loving parents Henry and Tillie Rose Solomon Wolfe. Together with her siblings, their family survived repeated Nazi air raids during World War II. This was one of Sylvia’s formidable experiences, and a lifelong source of inspiration and strength. It also began her deep admiration for
Winston Churchill and the Queen Mother who she quoted often and who brought her comfort to the very end.

In 1948, Sylvia and her family sailed the Queen Elizabeth from London to start a new life in America. Her first steps on the sparkling streets of New York formed an indelible image that began her love for America, and the freedoms and security it provided. She went on to graduate from Forest Hills High School in New York and attended New York University.

At age 19, she met her husband-to-be on a blind date in Baltimore, Maryland. They married and began one of her life’s most cherished and selfless works, the raising of her three sons.

Sylvia was a patron of the arts, and was co-Chair of the Armonk Outdoor Art Show for a decade. She was an active tennis player, calling herself “the Lobster” for her dangerous lob game, but ultimately converted full time to golf where she loved to compete and socialize with her many friends at Whippoorwill Club and BallenIsles Country Club.

Sylvia was a whirlwind of energy and a friend to all. She had an ability to make people laugh and feel at ease. She often said “love is the answer” and lived her life in constant motion in a celebration of life. She had an iron will and strong held beliefs, and naturally saw the best in everyone. She spent her final days smiling and laughing with her family, once again touching those around her with vibrancy and optimism, which lives on in her loving memory.

The family will welcome friends to their home at 3 Elm Place in Armonk, NY at the following times: Friday March 6 from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Saturday March 7 from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., and Sunday March 8 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. A memorial will follow in the Spring at a date to be determined.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in Sylvia’s name to ArtsWestchester and the Children’s Room of the North Castle Public Library.

James Joseph Henderson, Sr.

James Joseph Henderson, Sr., a 49 year Armonk resident died on March 5, 2014. He leaves behind his wife Joanne, his beloved children: Marie, James, Christopher, Patrice, Dennis and Joseph (his daughter Colleen predeceased him); his beloved grandchildren: Katie, Perry, Joseph, James, Dina, Ashley, Sean, Connor, Brian and Madison. He served in the Navy and was a retired White Plains Police Officer. In lieu of flowers, please donate in his memory to: Fisher House Foundation, Cancer Research Institute or Wounded Warrior Project.
1. Fisher House Foundation
111 Rockville Pike, Suite 420
Rockville, MD 20850
tel: (888) 294-8560
EIN: 11-3158401
2. Cancer Research Institute
One Exchange Plaza
55 Broadway, Suite 1802
New York, NY 10006
tel: (800) 992-2623
EIN: 13-1837442  
3. Wounded Warrior Project
PO BOX 758517
Topeka, KS 66675
EIN: 20-2370934


Mark H. Cohen VP and longtime executive of Capital Cities/ABC, Inc. passed peacefully on December 31, 2013 at age 81. During his singular career in broadcasting spanning some 38 groundbreaking years he also served as Vice President of the International Radio and Television Society as well as President for the International Council of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.

Once retired, he pursued golf with a passion and avidly followed the Red Sox while devoting spare time to his beloved alma mater the University of Maine. This included working as an officer for the Alumni Association and serving as the Chairman of the Presidents' Council. For these efforts and others he received the Universitys' highest honour, the Pine Tree Emblem Service Award in 2004.

A native of Lewiston, Maine and longtime resident of Armonk, New York, Mr. Cohen received his degree in Business Administration from the University of Maine and his MS degree in Television Production from Syracuse University after serving as a 1st Lieutenent in the U.S. Army from 1955 to 1957. 

He is survived by his loving wife of more than 50 years, the former Mary Jane Pitman, Their Son, H. Jonathan Cohen, daughter-in-law Linda Unger Cohen and grandsons Chase 16 and Jake 13. His daughters Patricia Beth Cohen and Cathyanne Cockrill, son-in-law Anthony Cockrill and granddaughter MaryJane 5. He is also survived by his brother Irwin Cohen of Salem, Massachusetts.

Memorial services will be held for close friends and family on Thursday, January 23rd 2014 at 11:00 a.m. at the Oelker-Cox & Sinatra Funeral Home in Mt. Kisco, NY to be followed by a celebration of life at the Whippoorwill Country Club in Armonk at 1:30 p.m. The family requests that in lieu of flowers a donation be made in honour of Mark to the University of Maine Foundation. For additional information please go to:

William (Bill) Henry Frank 

Septemebr 19, 2013
Bill was born in Long Branch, N.J. on Sept. 11, 1909 and raised in Manhattan. He graduated from Phillips Andover in 1928, spent his freshman college year at the U.of Wisconsin and transferred as a sophomore to Yale, from which he graduated in 1932.

His first job was with the Wall Street firm of L. F. Rothschild at a starting salary of $ 15 per week. In 1936 he became the New York Stock Exchange floor broker for Smith, Frank and Co.

On July 7, 1936 Bill married Ruth Patricia Brown of Sloatsburgh, N.Y.

In 1942 he volunteered for Army Air Corp Officer Training, at the conclusion of which he was assigned to the Door Field, Florida, Primary Flying School; and then to AAFPOA (ARMY AIR FORCES PACIFIC OCEAN AREA)stationed at Hickam Field, Hawaii.

Bill ended his military career as a Major on the staff of the U.S. Army Strategic Air Force (USASTAF) stationed in Guam, where he was awarded the Bronze Star. This was the Command that dropped the atom bomb.

On separation from the Service on Jan. 1946 he resigned from Smith, Frank and started Countywide Gas Corp, an installer of natural gas heating equipment and a distributor of propane gas. The Company was subsequently bought out by Suburban Propane in 1976.

In 1952, Bill and his very good friend, M.H. Laundon, were awarded the Bryant Heater distributership forthe State of Connecticut and Westchester County in New York. Finding two jobs too onerous, Bill resigned from Bryant Equipment Co. in 1962.

In 1965 he was appointed a director of Kensico Cemetery, of Valhalla, N.Y. later becoming its vice-president until his retirement therefrom in 1995.

A resident of Armonk, N.Y. for 37 years, he and his wife, Ruth, were alternately involved in numerous activities such as chairman of town recreation and trustees of the North Castle Library. Bill was also a past president of the Lions Club, a fifty year member of the North Castle American Legion Post 1097 and is still an Associate Member of the Armonk Independent Fire Co.

Active in Yale Alumni affairs he was chairman of several of his Class' Reunions and at his fiftieth in 1982 was also elected Class Secretary and remained so to this day; jokingly complaining that the nominating committee had failed to provide an exit plan. He was appointed an Associate Fellow of Yale's Berkeley College.

In Bill's later life he enjoyed writing poetry and letters to the Editor of the Times-Union, letters, which he has had published in 2 pamphlets.

His son, William Timothy Frank predeceased him in 1975, as did his dear wife, Ruth of 74 years. Surviving are a daughter, Mary Ellen Ball, of Morristown, N.J., a grandson, Wm. Edward (Ted) Frank and wife, Lisa, of Ponte Vedra, FL.,granddaughters, Amy L. Frank of Jacksonville Beach, Fl, Diane F. Bartley and husband, Jay of Bellaire, Tx. and Laura Ball Mayo and husband Marc of Colorado,; and great grandchildren, Heather and William T.Frank, Alexis and Jenna Bartley and Skyler and River Mayo.

Jamie Love
Jamie Bachmann Love [1992-2013]
Is Remembered by His Family

March 6, 2013
It appears as though Jamie had an arrhythmia, an irregular heartbeat, and died peacefully in his sleep. This is a rare tragedy that is seen in healthy young active people. It is not common but unfortunately does happen. In 99% of cases there is no inheritable cause and it's an unfortunate anomaly in one individual. There may be some genetic testing still to come as medicine moves forward with more research and commercially available testing for genetic markers that predispose certain individuals to get this arrhythmia.

Jamie started his last week on earth writing letters and applying for summer internships. At the America East Indoor Track Championships in Boston, he ran a relay on Monday and 1000 meter race on Tuesday. The rest of the week was late nights catching up on his engineering classes. Friday afternoon, he headed over to the Burton Snowboard headquarters where he had volunteered to set up for a rail jam to determine bragging rights for the local colleges. He was working to get an internship with Burton. After the features were set up, he couldn’t stay and snowboard because he had to meet his new landlord for next year’s housing. Later that evening, he hung out, watched a movie and talked with us.

We talked about his week and made plans for his spring break which started March 1. We planned to pick him up and stay at our house in Manchester, VT.  Weekend plans were getting up for early lift access at Stratton Mountain and some peaceful fresh runs. Jamie would volunteer with Stratton’s Park Crew as he has done for the last couple of winters. In the late afternoon, we would take a run; Jamie’s longer and faster than ours. Dinners were usually something wood fire grilled outside and Jamie had taken a special interest in cooking since he started living on his own.  

The beginning of the week, Jamie wanted to work on the custom snowboard he had started over the Christmas holiday.  He had been to Home Depot for wood and supplies and mail-ordered the right glues and base material. He thought he would stop in to Hickory and Tweed to share stories and see if they needed him to work. He would get together with friends to bike at Graham or Mianus. He would go on long runs and maybe stop by to see his high school coaches. He would get ready for a trip to the Adirondacks with his Dad...the same trip they shared this summer. This time, he wanted to do it with snow and the “splitboard” he had made with his Dad just before he went back to school. They had the kit to make another for his Dad and then their plan was to splitboard through Avalanche Pass and ride the slides on Colden on whichever day the snow would look right. He wanted to get some great photographs.

By the end of the week, it would be back to school. Jamie had made the decision in December not to run the spring season in order to concentrate on his studies. He truly enjoyed his classes, even though the engineering curriculum is incredibly challenging. Maybe he would pick up a few hours at the SkiRack as he looked forward to internship opportunities and summer plans.  

But as he had lived his whole life, he did not live just for the future. He would enjoy the blessings of every day--the beauty of nature, the exhilaration of riding or running, the joy of helping people in simple ways, the satisfaction in reading and learning, and the laughs with family and friends.  

The Love Family is truly awed by the tremendous showering of love and prayers over these past days. They treasure the stories of Jamie’s life and are inspired by all of the races, runs, bikes, games, late night study sessions, and fun times celebrating his ways and honoring him. We are all so blessed.

This weekend would have been the first US Open of Snowboarding at Stratton we would have missed as a family in 13 years. Jamie had made a emotional connection with the Burton Demo Tour team that’s a big part of the Open.  He had a tradition of bringing Mrs Murhy’s donuts (Manchester’s finest!) to them early in the morning and they would enthusiastically discuss all the “next year’s” equipment that he would spend the day riding.

Armonk Jamie Love
In Celebration and Honor of JAMIE BACHMANN LOVE [1992-2013]
It is said by those who must endure a young person's death that one's life is best measured by the quality of his years, not the quantity, especially when tragically cut short. It should be added that the life of this wonderful, young gentleman, Jamie Love, can also be measured by the large number of family, friends, classmates, teammates, coworkers and people who thought so highly of Jamie; they will greatly miss his quick smile, boundless energy, and generous nature. Jamie's life also improved so many people's lives, lives of those privileged to know him and befriend the Love family. Jamie has a truly lofty measure of life. And so, many sob now, but they will also have the fondest memories to treasure of his short time with us.
Jamie B. Love was born on July 27, 1992, in New York City to his joyous parents, Michelle and James Love. Later, his adored younger sister, Noelle, was born into the Love family. His father, as some of us in town knew over the years, grew up in Armonk and is a 1974 Byram Hills High School graduate.

Jamie was well-known in school during his youth as a very talented runner and a skilled snowboarder, as well as a person who was always considerate and kind to others. He started working at the local, outdoor sports-landmark, Hickory & Tweed, at an early age. His abilities made him a highly valued and well-liked veteran at Hickory & Tweed for several years.

Jamie graduated from BHHS in 2010. He journeyed to northern New England to study and thrive at the University of Vermont. Jamie majored in mechanical engineering. He joined UVM's cross-country team and its track team. Jamie, as always, charmed everyone who crossed his path, academically, athletically, and socially.
Calling hours will be held at the Beecher Funeral Home at 418 Bedford Rd. in Pleasantville on Friday February 22, from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m., and Saturday February 23, from 10 a.m. to noon. The Love Family will celebrate Jamie among their large family and welcome his many friends to the services to honor him at North Congregational Church, 606 Riversville Rd. in Greenwich, CT (at John Street) on Saturday February 23, at 4:00 p.m. A reception will follow in the church Fellowship Hall. The Love family asks that donations to a children's charity of your choice be made, in lieu of sending flowers.
Jamie Bachmann Love was 20-years-young last Sunday, February 17, when he passed away in his sleep. He shall live on many times more than his short life in our memories. It was indeed a privilege to meet and get to know him. It will be an honor to remember him beyond life as he so justly deserves, a privilege to endure his memory in so many saddened hearts, and a treasure to so many who recall Jamie's laughter and joy in life.
--- Jim Boyle; Armonk resident and class of '74 BHHS graduate

Frederick Rucker

April 5, 2012
Frederick (Fred) Rucker passed away on Saturday March 31, 2012.  Fred had been an Architect in town for many years and had done work with the NOrth Castle Planning Board and Building Department.
For those that would like to send a card to Fred’s wife, Patricia and daughter, Kendra, you can mail it to 15 Walnut Hill Road, East Lyme, CT  06333 or email them:

George J. Stevenson Pavilion
George J. Stevenson Pavilion
Peter Van de Water
13 October 1926 – 19 November 2010

Peter Coakley Van de Water was born on October 13, 1926 to John Walker (Jack) Van de Water and Ruth Langmuir Van de Water in New York City.  Jack and Ruth Van de Water were renowned for their love of hiking and mountain climbing, and were active participants in the Appalachian Mountain Club.  Jack was an engineer at Bell Laboratories.

Pete moved with his family to Omaha, Nebraska, in high school, and he and his future wife Betty Meyer Van de Water met there at Benson High.  They both attended the University of Iowa, marrying November 24, 1948.  He cared for Betty with love and devotion for 62 years of loving marriage.

Pete enlisted in the United States Army at the tail end of World War II and remained stateside as the war was coming to a close.  He was a Technician Fifth Grade in the Ordnance Department at Camp Campbell, Hopkinsville, Kentucky, finishing as a Corporal.  He then attended college at the University of Iowa, earning a Bachelor of Science in Commerce in 1949.  Pete went on to earn a Masters of Science in Business at Columbia University in New York City in 1950.  His diploma was signed by the President of Columbia University, Dwight D. Eisenhower, shortly before he ran for President of the United States.

In 1950 he returned to the US Army, this time in the Reserve, and also took a job with The New York Telephone Company.  He had many interesting jobs during his 38 years with the company, including Fleet Manager of the New York Telephone fleet of cars and trucks, District Manager, and finally Director of Corporate Services at NYNEX, one of the new "Baby Bells" created by the breakup of AT&T, and later known as Verizon.

Pete and Betty's first daughter was born in 1953 and second daughter in 1955.  The Family lived in Closter, New Jersey, and then Armonk, New York,

A memorial service was celebrated on January 15, 2011.
read more

American legion
The American Legion Post 1097 on Bedford Rd., Armonk, NY
in memory of vietnam vets
Ernest Bolduc 2009-02-02

Ernie was a very special, very loyal and very dear friend. With a twinkle in his eye and a lilt in his voice he would let his friends know how much he cared because he always had a special word for each of us. Ernie was a dedicated Husband, Father and Grandfather, Brother and Uncle. He was very proud of his family and loved them so very much. They were always uppermost in his mind. Ernie was a man with deep religious beliefs and moral conviction whose ethics were unshakable. Ernie was a very generous person and he shared his many talents willingly.
One of his talents was his beautiful voice which brought joy to all who were privileged to attend a performance or just be there when he broke into song. Ernie was always a very real presence and to speak him as “was” seems inappropriate. Who will remind us that we will be late if we don’t leave many hours ahead of time? And who will be the co-pilot on our car rides navigating the who, what where and most importantly WHEN will we finally land at our destination? It was always an adventure.
We enjoyed every minute with Ernie and Grace (his Matilda) and we are fortunate and blessed to have these memories, and will cherish them always. Ernie and Grace are, and always will be, members of our family. Ernie has now joined the Heavenly choir and he will no doubt be the lead vocalist.
Martye Futia
Futia, Martha "Martye"

Martha “Martye” Futia was born in Wall, PA to Sarah and Milos Jordan on January 17, 1939.  Martye was a devoted wife, mother and homemaker, and civic matters were dear to her heart.  She was a member and President of the North Castle American Legion Auxiliary, Unit #1097 and the Armonk Lions Club, and founding member of The North White Plains/Quarry Heights Civic Association.  Martye is survived by her loving husband of 52 years, Anthony Futia, Jr., children Kim Longo (Richard), Sharon Grahame (John), Karen Futia and Anthony Futia III (Doreene), grandchildren Matthew and Andrea Longo and Kristi, Kathleen and Brittany Grahame, and brother Nicholas.  She was predeceased by siblings Stephen, George, and Kathleen. Arrangements for cremation have been entrusted to Hawthorne Funeral Home. A celebration of Martye’s life will be held on Sunday, February 27 at 5:00 p.m. at Hillside Church, 448 Bedford Road, Armonk, N.Y.  Memorial donations may be sent to “American Legion Auxiliary, Unit #1097”, 35 Bedford Road, Armonk, NY 10504.
North White Plains/ North Castle
Futia, Martha “Martye”
72, died on February 20, 2011
Arrangements by Hawthorne Funeral Home

North White Plains Volunteer Fire Department
North White Plains Volunteer Fire Department
Max William Winkler



Signed by Sean Ryan, President            

December 2, 2008

Baroni, Kathleen
Kathleen M. Baroni
1923 - 2016

July 3, 2016
Kathleen M. Baroni of Brookfield, CT, passed away at Danbury Hospital on June 29, 2016 at the age of 93. Kathleen was born on February 5, 1923 in New York, NY to the late Thomas J. and Susan (Morgan) Murphy. After graduating from Walton High School in New York, she worked as a dental assistant.

She was the cherished wife of Dr. Roland A. Baroni, whom she married on April 19, 1942 in New York, NY. Mrs. Baroni lived in Armonk, NY for most of her life before moving to Brookfield, CT two years ago.

From 1966 to 1975 she was elected to the Town Board and served as Deputy Supervisor for the Town of North Castle. In 1975 she was elected as the Town of North Castle Town Clerk, serving until her retirement in 1985.

Mrs. Baroni was predeceased by her husband Roland in 1997, and also by her brothers Patrick and Walter Murphy and her grandson Patrick Lynch. Kathleen was a loving and devoted mother and is survived by her five children, Roland A. Baroni, Jr. (Lisa) of Armonk, NY, Thomas Baroni (Evelyn) of Mt. Kisco, NY, Nancy Lynch (Dr. David) of New Milford, CT, Kathleen Martin (Michael) of Somers, NY, and Mary Orcutt (John) of New Milford, CT. She is also survived by 16 grandchildren, 19 great grandchildren, and the abundance of wonderful memories that she made possible.

There will be no calling hours. All are invited to attend a Mass of Christian Burial on Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at St. Francis Xavier Church, 26 Chestnut Land Road in New Milford, CT, at 11:00 a.m. A private interment will follow at Center Cemetery in New Milford, CT.

In lieu of flowers, donations in her memory may be made to Danbury Hospital, or the Patrick Lynch Fund, c/o CSDA Foundation, 835 W. Main St., Southington, CT 06489, or Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis Research, Dr. Barbara Degar, c/o Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA. The Lillis Funeral Home, 58 Bridge Street, New Milford, CT is in charge of arrangements.

Allen Herbert Shaw

Allen Herbert Shaw died peacefully in his sleep at Westminster Manor on April 19, 2016. He was born in 1924 to Esther and Walter Shaw in Manchester, Vermont, the third of four children. He was a lifeguard, caddied, played golf, baseball and had many friends. He was the president of his senior class graduating from Burr and Burton High School in 1942. He went to Syracuse University and then the Navy sent him to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute where he earned an electrical engineering degree.

He married Marjorie Lake in 1948. Marjorie and Allen had four children: Mary, Michael, Jane and Chris. The Shaw family settled in Armonk, NY and enjoyed the small town life as Allen commuted to New York City every day for 40 years. Allen was very successful as an executive with the New York Telephone Company with an office on the lower west side of Manhattan. He kept a collection of personal notes given to him by co-workers and subordinates at his retirement underscoring how well respected he was. In his free time he was a scout leader and served on the board of the Anita Louise Erhman Pool in its early days.

Allen and Marjorie retired to Lakeway, Austin in 1987 to live near their two daughters and grandsons. They enjoyed playing bridge and golf with many new friends and were active in the community. As a volunteer tax-aide for AARP Allen assisted people in preparing their tax returns in East Austin. He answered the phone at the Lakeway City Hall, served as treasurer and wine steward for the Solos of Lakeway, and served on committees at the Emmaus Church.

As a grandfather, Allen touched the lives of eight grandkids giving them memories to live by. Train sets, card games, pure maple syrup, puzzles and driving golf balls from the tee just outside his backyard to name a few.

After his wife passed, Allen moved to Westminster in Austin where he made many new friends and reconnected with some old friends from Lakeway. It was there that he met Marion Lewis, who would become his sweetheart and an invaluable part of his support team. His family; the children, grandchildren and great grand’s thank Allen for his support and leadership throughout their lives by his example of how to live a productive and loving life.

Allen is survived by his four children: Mary Shaw Sondgeroth and son-in-law, Dan of Austin; Jane Shaw Lewis, and son-in-law, Paul of Austin; Michael Shaw of Columbia, SC; and Christopher Shaw and daughter-in-law Catherine of Durham, NC, and his grandchildren: Adam and Parker Lewis, Megan, Kristen, Connor and Michael Shaw, Angela Smith and Allison Adelhardt, and great-grandchildren: Brice Smith, and Olivia and Brady Adelhardt.

A memorial service will be held in Harris Bell Hall at Westminster on Jackson Avenue, Austin at 11:00 a.m. on Monday May 9 followed by a short reception and then burial of ashes at Lakeway Church Memorial Garden on 2203 Lakeway Blvd at 1:30 p.m. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to the Alzheimer’s Association, Hospice Austin, or to the charity of your choice.

Walter Howard Cox, Jr.
1934 - 2015

Walter Howard Cox, Jr., AKA Bimmy, died unexpectedly in his home in St. Augustine, Florida on October 26, 2015. Bimmy was born in Mt. Kisco, NY on April 17, 1934 to Mariann Farrell Cox and Walter Howard Cox of Armonk, NY.

Bimmy attended Armonk schools and graduated from Pleasantville High School in 1952. He served in the United States Army for two years, posted in Germany. He was a volunteer firefighter with the Armonk Fire Department for many years, and a member of The North Castle American Legion Post #1097.

Bimmy lived in Armonk until retiring to St. Augustine in 2003. Bimmy was a plumber and worked on the construction of IBM World Headquarters in Armonk and at Readers Digest for many years.

Bimmy was an athlete. He played baseball as a boy and in the Army with the  Kaiserslautern Engineers, coached Armonk Little League and played on numerous softball teams. To stay in shape during the off-season, he began running into town each morning to pick up the paper. This led to his running career which included numerous local races and marathons, and the completion of both the New York and Boston Marathons. He was also an avid sports fan and loved the New York Yankees.

He loved gardening and sharing his bounty with his friends in town. He was especially known for his tomatoes. He loved camping in Rhode Island, so much so that he and Helene built a log cabin there. He would clam for hours in Rhode Island and share clams with his friends. He became known for his soup, all kinds, which he would generously share, from the gazpacho he made using a recipe given to him by the ladies in the kitchen at Reader’s Digest to his clam chowder.

Bimmy loved a good practical joke and had an easy smile. He was a wonderful storyteller, and loved to reminisce. He was a local historian and the go-to guy for anyone with questions about “old-Armonk”. He was a caring friend to many in town and he will be remembered for his acts of kindness.

He and his wife Helene enjoyed traveling and were married in Hawaii. He loved trying new restaurants, reading and enjoyed his nightly glass of Opici. He surprised all his friends in Armonk when he and Helene moved to St. Augustine where he made a whole new batch of friends.

He is survived by his wife of 25 years, Helene Kliesch Cox, his former wife, Peggy Sullivan Crespo and their children: Colleen (Sam) Kopchick of Davidson, NC, Tommy Cox of Somers, NY and Nancy Gailor of Sandwich, MA. He leaves grandchildren Alexandra, Connor, Jack, Kendall and Sam and great-grandchildren Madison, Max and Marley, along with his dog Missy. His brother, Richard Marvin Farrell Cox died in infancy in 1939.

Benjamin Freed - Longtime Armonk Resident Remembered

July 9, 2015
A memorial service for Ben Freed was held on Saturday May 23, at the Hergenhan Recreation Center in Armonk and attended by over 200 people.

Ben Freed, a 24-year resident of Armonk was memorialized with music and tributes by friends, family, and other musicians at a lively service on May 23. He was a doctor of optometry who worked throughout the downstate New York region--and an acclaimed musician and teacher who died suddenly on Wednesday May 20, at Northern Westchester Medical Center in Mount Kisco. He was 59, and the cause of death was aortic dissection, according to his wife, Nomi Schwartz.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by two daughters, Madelyn (BHHS 2007) and Liza (BHHS 2011), graduates of the University of Chicago and the University of Vermont, respectively. He was predeceased by his parents, Lt. Milton Freed OD, U.S. Air Force, Ruth Freed (nee) Bernstein, and a sister Robin.

As a doctor of optometry, Freed administered care to patients with empathy and expertise. He headed the Homebound program at the SUNY College of Optometry, where he travelled throughout the five boroughs of New York City visiting patients in their homes. He served as an assistant clinical professor of optometry and ophthalmology at New York Medical College and SUNY College of Optometry. He also served as director of the Low Vision service at New York Eye and Ear Infirmary and had affiliations with Long Island Medical Center Department of Ophthalmology, Lighthouse International, Bronx-Lebanon Hospital, Queens Hospital Center, and St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Dept. of Ophthalmology. He trained a new generation of doctors to be devoted to their patients.

He was a world-class banjo player whose records of all original music include Speed of Sound (2000), Suite for Bluegrass Banjo (2003), and Banjopolis (2007). His best-known musical achievement was the solo banjo heard in the Coen Brothers 1987 film Raising Arizona. Throughout his life he found tremendous joy in performing, teach three generations of students, and mentoring young virtuoso banjoists.

“Ben Freed was a friend to all, an inspirational cheerleader for musicians everywhere, especially bluegrass musicians, and in particular banjo players,” said David Angell, president of the Hudson Valley Bluegrass Association. “Ben was a loyal and generous friend."

Freed developed a dynamically driving style, citing Pete Seeger, Earl Scruggs, Tony Trischka and Alan Munde as major influences. Four CDs of all original music attest to his gifts as a composer, producer, and player. Pete Wernick called Ben’s Suite for Bluegrass Banjo “one of the best banjo records, ever.”

As a band member of Diamonds in the Rough, Laurie and the Locals, American Flyer, The Soy Boys, The Corn Fed Dogs, and most recently, The Sleepy Hollow String Band, Freed declared that, “performing live music with my friends is an exhilaration that is hard to describe.”

In addition to his mastery of the banjo, dobro, and optometry, he was an eager small-boat sailor, enthusiastic fisherman, protector and owner of rescue dogs, fern aficionado, puppet designer, recumbent bicyclist, loving husband and proud father.

In his memory, donations may be sent to Adopt-a-Dog of Armonk ( or the Michael J. Fox Foundation (

Joseph Shechtman
1924 - 2015

Joseph Shechtman was born in the Bronx on May 14, 1924 to Russian immigrants Frank and Sima Shechtman.

He grew up in the Bronx where he attended Morris High School. He was an avid sports fans and as a young man tended the turnstiles at Yankee Stadium in order to watch the games where he went to every opening day dressed in a suit and tie.

Joe attended undergraduate school at NYU University Heights and New York University Medical School where he studied neurology and psychiatry. He did a general residency at City Hospital in the Bronx. He also did a residency in neurology at Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan.

He served as a psychiatrist in the United States Air Force for two years during the Korean War.

In 1954, Joe moved his young family to Pleasantville where he lived with his wife for over 60 years. He did a year residency at the Pleasantville Cottage School. He did two more years of residency training at the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry. He was a Fellow of the Medical Psychiatry Association.

He practiced psychiatry in White Plains, Mount Kisco, and during his later years he practiced from his home. His practice meant the world to him. He was generous with his time and dedication toward his patients who adored him.

Joe’s passions were his family, his practice and sports. He was known as a man of good character who had a good sense of humor. His wife Beverly was known as the “Meat and Potatoes”, while Joe was the fun. Their house was never dull, there were always discussions going on, as he was known as a man of many words.

He was supportive of his childrens’ and grandchildrens' participation in high school sports and theatre. He played tennis and golf with a lot of enthusiasm. A huge New York Jets fan, Joe frequented the Jets games with his son, grandsons and friends.

After a short illness, Joe passed away peacefully on March 20, 2015 in White Plains with his son Frank at his side.

He is survived by his wife, Beverly Peris Shechtman and three children: Lee Shechtman, Elizabeth and Nathaniel Longo, and Frank and Marla Shechtman, and six grandchildren: Jody, Kim, Spencer, Lyndsay, Zachary, and Ari. 

Barbara Schwartz
May 1943 - February

Barbara Ellen Schwartz, 70, of Armonk, NY, and New York City, died peacefully on February 17, 2014 in her home in Armonk, with her husband Allen and daughter Lara by her side.

Barbara, known to all as "Baba", was born May 19, 1943 to Raymond and Miriam Robinson. Baba and two brothers, Don and Jim, grew up in Mt. Vernon, NY. At sixteen, she met Allen. Following graduation from A.B. Davis High School, she studied business and merchandising at the Fashion Institute of Technology. She subsequently completed Bachelor and Master degrees in business at New York University. Baba taught in New York City intermediate schools and Head Start Programs, and then at Lehman College of CUNY. She embarked on a career in the family real estate business in 1974 as an owner and manager.

Wherever Baba went, the party followed. She had a palpable passion for life and was always surrounded by family and friends. Generous in every way, she was a proud and steadfast election volunteer for nearly a generation. Baba was a supporter of Wounded Warriors, the Israeli Defense Forces, the Bruce Museum, and the Hole in the Wall Gang Camps, amongst other causes. A lover of tennis, she cherished her days on the court, and looked forward to the US Open and all other major tennis events.

Baba is survived by her husband Allen Schwartz of Armonk, NY, and daughter Lara (Schwartz) D'Agostino, son-in-law Dr. Mark D'Agostino, and grandchildren Tyler and Ariella of Katonah, NY. She is also survived by two brothers, Donald Robinson of Rolling Meadows, IL, and James Robinson of Woodstock, NY, as well as numerous cousins, nieces, nephews, and extended family in New York, Pennsylvania, and California. Baba leaves behind a very large network of friends who have supported and enveloped her and her family beyond all expectations. The love and selflessness extended by friends during Baba's battle with cancer has been truly humbling and is reflective of the love that Baba has shown to others, and the quality of her character.Barbara Ellen Schwartz, 70, of Armonk, NY, and New York City, died peacefully on February 17, 2014 in her home in Armonk, with her husband Allen and daughter Lara by her side.

Barbara, known to all as "Baba", was born May 19, 1943 to Raymond and Miriam Robinson. Baba and two brothers, Don and Jim, grew up in Mt. Vernon, NY. At sixteen, she met Allen. Following graduation from A.B. Davis High School, she studied business and merchandising at the Fashion Institute of Technology. She subsequently completed Bachelor and Master degrees in business at New York University. Baba taught in New York City intermediate schools and Head Start Programs, and then at Lehman College of CUNY. She embarked on a career in the family real estate business in 1974 as an owner and manager.

Wherever Baba went, the party followed. She had a palpable passion for life and was always surrounded by family and friends. Generous in every way, she was a proud and steadfast election volunteer for nearly a generation. Baba was a supporter of Wounded Warriors, the Israeli Defense Forces, the Bruce Museum, and the Hole in the Wall Gang Camps, amongst other causes. A lover of tennis, she cherished her days on the court, and looked forward to the US Open and all other major tennis events.

Baba is survived by her husband Allen Schwartz of Armonk, NY, and daughter Lara (Schwartz) D'Agostino, son-in-law Dr. Mark D'Agostino, and grandchildren Tyler and Ariella of Katonah, NY. She is also survived by two brothers, Donald Robinson of Rolling Meadows, IL, and James Robinson of Woodstock, NY, as well as numerous cousins, nieces, nephews, and extended family in New York, Pennsylvania, and California. Baba leaves behind a very large network of friends who have supported and enveloped her and her family beyond all expectations. The love and selflessness extended by friends during Baba's battle with cancer has been truly humbling and is reflective of the love that Baba has shown to others, and the quality of her character.

Celebration of a Grand Life:
Doris Finch Watson
28 July 1923 - 30 December 2014

December 30, 2014
Mrs. Doris Finch Watson went home Sunday evening, not feeling well. She went to bed and passed away peacefully in her sleep early on Tuesday morning, December 30, at the age of 91. 

A wake will be held on Sunday January 4, 2015 from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. at Ballard Durand Funeral Home, 2 Maple Avenue, White Plains. Her funeral will be held on Monday January 5 at 10:00 a.m. at the Bedford Presbyterian Church, 44 Village Green, Bedford. A burial will follow at the Middle Patent Rural Cemetery, Bedford. 

She was born in the hamlet of Banksville in the Town of North Castle, the daughter of Walter Sutherlin Finch and Emma H. Miller. A founder of the North Castle Historical Society in 1968, she was named the Town Historian of North Castle in 1993. She was also the first woman to be honored with the Pat Bresha Award by the Armonk Lions Club for distinguished community service.

At her 90th birthday celebration in September 2013, Mrs. Watson was surrounded by her family of several generations. When the birthday cake appeared, Mrs. Watson thanked everyone for joining her and for being her friends, some for 80 years.

She fondly mentioned her 50-year marriage to her husband, William J. Watson who died in 1998. Doris Finch married William Joseph Watson in 1948. The Watsons took over Finch's Country Store in Banksville to host the 100th anniversary of the general store in 1960. Following a fire in 1980, the store reopened with Mrs. Watson’s two sons, Walter Suntherlin Finch Watson II and William J. Watson Jr., who became the fifth generation of the family to operate the store, a 130-year-old family business. 

At the end of World War II, she was also the personal assistant to Henry Fonda during his years on Broadway starring in the play, Mr. Roberts.

The Finch family is well-known in Banksville, dating back to 1720 with eight generations in North Castle. Those eight generations have been buried in Banksville’s Middle Patent Rural Cemetery, including Samuel Banks, who, in 1743, was the cemetery's first burial. An island in the cemetery's small lake, Dorrie's Island, was named after Mrs. Watson who owns a large family plot in Middle Patent. In 2002, she told The New York Times that the plot can “take care of quite a group.” Doris Finch Watson was also the secretary-treasurer of the 15-acre Middle Patent Rural Cemetery.

Mrs. Watson's involvement with the community remained strong as she has worked with many organizations. Her knowledge of the history of our town was deep, as preservation of history and artifacts were especially important to her. And her breadth of historical knowledge was called upon often. She was relentless in maintaining the history of North Castle, especially in Banksville where she resided her entire life, as well as saving Smith's Tavern, the Brundage Blacksmith Shop, the East Middle Patent School, and the Quaker Meetinghouse, which dates to 1790. At the time of her death, she was leading the fight to preserve and save the Miller House in North White Plains which was George Washington's Headquarters during the Battle of White Plains in the Revolutionary War, one that she waged for more than 25 years.

Mrs. Watson’s passion for North Castle was never-ending and she maintained active in many organizations including program director of the Banksville Community Center for 27 years, and was a honorary member of the Banksville Fire Department, where her son Walter was Fire Chief. She was an incorporating member of The North Castle Historical Society when it was chartered in 1972 and remained a board member until her death. Mrs. Watson was a founding member of the Friends of the Miller House/Washington's Headquarters and chair of the Elijah Miller House Committee for the Town of North Castle.

Farewell to a woman who left many fond memories and passion for her town, memories that can never be taken away. Many people truly appreciated her grace, what she did for the town, and how she did it.

As North Castle's Town Historian and a lifelong North Castle resident, Mrs. Watson had a great sense of where the community has been as well as an intuition about what the future will bring, said her good friend, Ambassador Donald Gregg, another longtime North Castle resident.

Mrs. Watson's volunteering never ended, said one friend, “She was no age, but rather forever young."

Her friend and neighbor Sharon Tomback says Mrs. Watson had a unique way about her. She was always positive, always delighted to see people. She never had a negative thing to say, one of her favorite expressions was, “Turn the coin over.”

Another friend said Mrs. Watson's wisdom, experience, knowledge and passion permeated the whole town while her contributions were ageless, like her.

In an interview with the Greenwich Time in 2010, Mrs. Watson offered the following advice to the president of the United States: “Have courage and always consider what is best for this beloved country and its people.” Mrs. Watson carried that sentiment about her home town for her entire life.

Mrs. Watson leaves behind three children: Phoebe Finch Watson and her partner Drew of Stamford, CT; Walter Sutherlin Finch Watson II, his wife Mary Jane "MJ" and their three children, Tucker, Casey and Kiley, of Banksville, CT; and William Joseph Watson, Jr., his wife Carmel and their two children, Samuel and Kimberly, in Buzzards Bay, MA.

Missy and Bumpy Taylor
Missy Taylor White Passed Away at Age 59 After a Brief Battle with Lung Cancer

Melissa (Missy) Taylor White passed away on Sunday September 1, 2013. Missy was predeceased by her father, Erling (Bumpy) Taylor in 2012 and her mother Alberta (Sue) Bohner in 1998. Missy was a good friend to many and the best of daughters. Several years ago, she moved back to Armonk to take care of her Mother during her last years and stayed to take care of Bumpy until he died. Bumpy owned and operated several gasoline stations in Armonk.

Missy Taylor White is survived by her daughter, Kate Lindsey, her son-in-law Patrick Lindsey and grandchildren, Lauren and Theodore of Chesapeake Virginia. She is also survived by her cousins Jinx Remson of North Salem, and Ernest Remson and his partner, Deanna Lockwood, of Cortland Manor, and by many cousins by marriage.

Missy's maternal grandmother, Viola Carpenter Taylor, was among one of the earliest Armonk settlers. According to family lore, Viola's family was traced back to the first white baby born in the area. In celebration, the family was gifted 700 acres in Windmill Farms by the Native Americans.

Missy was a longtime member of The North Castle Historical Society and enjoyed candle making on Colonial Crafts Day. She was an active member of the Middle Patent Methodist Episcopal Church.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to the Armonk Fire Department, 400 Bedford Road, Armonk 10504.

A service will be held on Saturday September 7, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. at Middle Patent Church at 171 Bedford-Banksville Road in Bedford.

Erling J “Bumpy” Taylor

December 23, 2012 
Erling J. “Bumpy” Taylor of Armonk passed away on December 21, 2012, at home, with his family by his side. Bumpy was born in Armonk on May 5, 1916 to William J. Taylor and Viola Carpenter Taylor. He was 96 years old. He attended Armonk and Pleasantville Schools. Mr. Taylor was a WWII veteran, having served with the U. S. Army from 1941 – 1945, primarily in New Guinea and Hollandia in the South Pacific. He married Alberta “Sue” Bohner on September 6, 1941, who predeceased him on July 13, 1998. After WWII, Bumpy returned to Armonk with Sue, where he owned and operated Armonk Service Station and Towing Service for 30 years. He also began a lifelong commitment to serving the community of Armonk. His community activities span many years and countless organizations, including as a 65 year member of the Armonk Independent Fire Department, a 33 year member of the North Castle Auxiliary Police, and a 65 year member of the American Legion Post #1097. He led each of these organizations at least once. Other organizations that benefited from Bumpy’s dedicated service include the Board of Trustees of the North Castle Historical Society, the Board of Trustees of the North Castle Library, and the Armonk Lions Club. For his service to the community, Bumpy received the Pat Bresha Award in 1998, and was named Legionnaire of the Year for Westchester County in 2010. Also in 2010 he was recognized by the State of New York for his 65 years of service as a volunteer fireman.

Erling Taylor is survived by his daughter, Melissa Taylor White of Armonk, his granddaughter, Kate Lindsey and his great-granddaughter, Lauren Taylor Bowling of Chesapeake Virginia. His also survived by his niece, Jinx Remson of North Salem, his nephew Ernest Remson and his partner, Deanna Lockwood, of Cortland Manor, and by many nieces and nephews by marriage. Bumpy had many friends, but especially noteworthy are Fred and Judy Coughlin, who were devoted to him in the last half of his life. In addition to his wife, he was predeceased by his sisters, Louise Remson and her husband Ernest, his sister Claire Malcomson, and nieces Sharon Johnson and Patricia Remson.

In lieu of flowers the family asks that donations be made to American Legion Post #1097, 35 Bedford Road, Armonk, NY 10504.

Hal Schaller
Hal Schaller
By Alice Levine

July 14, 2011
Many of us have visited Wampus Brook Park and taken a walk or enjoyed a picnic lunch near the duck pond. Close to the gazebo in the park is a monument honoring our residents who were victims of 9/11; North Castle’s own Harold (Hal) Schaller, who was responsible for designing mausoleums for members of families such as those of Barbra Streisand, Lou Gehrig and Duke Ellington, designed this simple, poignant monument. This year marked the 10th year anniversary of 9/11, as well as Hal’s monument in Wampus Brook Park.

Hal was an architect by training, and worked as a draftsman for H.K. Peacock, a memorial company, which he eventually acquired. His career was interrupted by World War II, yet his wartime experience was also very accomplished. He worked for the United States Intelligence Services in London, where he prepared maps of enemy territories. He shipped out on a Navy LST, a large landing craft that carries troops and tanks. From the ship at Normandy, he watched the horrific slaughter of many soldiers that they had transported, yet Hal and the ship’s captain refused to give up. Hal decided the ship was insufficiently armored. By scrounging up enough steel, he designed and built armor plating over the most vulnerable part of the ship. Fortunately, the ship made it through.

This experience helped foster his desire to honor loved ones in a special way, namely through monuments and mausoleums. After the war, Hal expanded the Peacock Memorial business and worked with many legendary Americans. Yet Hal was always humble and believed that Peacock Memorial was a meaningful way to help people during their time of grieving. His work includes public commemorative monuments, such as those honoring Korean War veterans in Columbia, South Carolina and the Armored Division in Washington, D.C. at the gates of Arlington Cemetery.

The North Castle Historical Society is very grateful to Hal for donating drawings of some of North Castle’s most historic buildings. It reproduced the drawings in a calendar, which was sold in 1986 by the Historical Society. More recently, Hal donated a lovely framed painting of the 1798 Quaker Meeting House. His wonderful drawing of Smith’s Tavern graces the note paper of the North Castle Historical Society.

Today, Hal’s son-in-law, Halsey Tuttill, continues the Peacock Memorial business. He has very fond memories of Hal, who passed away in 2002 at the age of 90. Halsey said, “Hal put his heart and soul into every project he took on. It was more than just work to him; it was an expression of his compassion and creativity.” Halsey particularly remembers Hal’s work on the monument on Memorial Drive, the road leading to Arlington National Cemetery. He added, “Hal was truly an artist. The project took him over two years, but he enjoyed every moment of it. He left his mark.”

Charles W. Brown, Jr.
March 17, 1954 - June 6, 2011
The flag at C.W. Brown Inc is at half-mast to mourn the loss of the founder Charles W. Brown.

June 10, 2011
Prayers were offered and speeches given as hundreds of family, friends, and people in the business community gathered to bid farewell to Charlie Brown, who died on Monday. Charlie was a man of honor who took great joy in life. His passions were family, fishing, cars, buildings and building relationships. The feeling of love for him during the service spread as the people who were close to him and the people he touched shared stories and reflections.

Among Charlie's many accomplishments was the building of the first Platinum Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) building in Westchester, at C.W. Brown headquarters on Labriola Court, Armonk. He and his wife Renee built their company from scratch from their basement in South Somers. One of his three daughters recalled that one day she came home from school and announced that from then on the family would only drink water from recycled bottles.  Charlie was on board for recycling from that day forward, and proudly retrofit all of the building at the Labriola Court headquarters with recycled materials.  He shared his environmental vision two years ago when he invited everyone to view the plans for an office building made of recycled materials.

Friday's celebration of Charlie's life, under a huge tent overlooking the headquarters of C.W. Brown touched hundreds of people, as Jimmy Tate played   Jimmy Buffet songs on the guitar during the service. Images from Charlie's life flashed on two large screens.  Stories were told of his building the one and only  road in West Hampton Dunes where he served as Village Trustee and Deputy Mayor, unopposed, not surprisingly for 14 years. He also rebuilt a church in South Salem, and served on many professional boards. His laughter and has boundless capacity for friendship were remembered fondly.

Married for 30 years with three grown daughters, he will be greatly missed. In lieu of flowers, his family asks that donations in honor of Charlie Brown be made to the Westchester Community College Foundation. Charlie was a proud graduate of Westchester Community College, and a Foundation Board Member. It is his  family's hope that his enthusiasm for mentoring youth will be carried on through these donations. Please send donations to: WCC Foundation, 75 Grasslands Road, Valhalla, NY 10595
armonk lombardi park

In Memory of An Angel

A recent addition to the Lombardi Park is a statue of a young girl reading a book among plantings of butterfly bushes. North Castle Beautification Foundation received donations and planted this garden in cooperation with the North Castle Parks and Recreation Department in memory of Juliana Affrunti.

sabe lombardi
As appears on a bench plaque in front of North Castle Community Center
Dedication to the Lombardi Brothers


Four generations of the Lombardi family dedicated a bench to the North Castle  Community Center in loving memory of the Lombardi brothers. The boys grew up on Clove Road in North White Plains and lived directly across the street from the center. As young boys they used to play in the woods and climb the trees in the surrounding area. Jack Lombardi, the youngest of the brothers,  served as North Castle Supervisor from 1961 - 2005.

Read more

Sabe Lombardi


Since the death of my mother thirty two years ago,
my grandfather Sabe Lombardi became the father
I never had. He cared for me and loved me so
much he even adopted me as his own son and I
took the Lombardi name.  His guidance and love
sustained me through very difficult times. He
raised me to be the man I am today. As time
passed and he grew older, our roles reversed
and I became his primary caregiver until he
passed away.  We always did everything together
and I will always hold him dear to my heart. 
I miss my grandfather very much and will
always be grateful for the time that we had
together.  I love you Gramps.
Michael J. Lombardi                                                                                                                              

John A. Lombardi Park

     Dedicated to Jack Lombardi- over two decades as Town Supervisor- for having the foresight during his tenure in office to acquire this property for use as a town park, so that future generations may enjoy the beauty and recreational opportunities of North Castle.
June 2nd 1985
      Special thanks to Elizabeth Sluder, Chair, North Castle Conservation Board and to Fred Wright, Chair, North Castle Recreation and Parks Board for their contribution in acquiring and transforming this site from wilderness to parkland.

John Lombardi served as North Castle Supervisor for 44 years, from January 1961 to December 2005.

In Memory of George S. Leisure, Esq. 1889-1982

George S. Leisure and his wife, Lucille Pelouze purchased a  farm in 1922 on Cox Avenue, which was maintained by them until their deaths in 1982 and 1983, respectively, when the property was sold, and is now Leisure Estates. Mr. Leisure was a veteran fighter pilot in the Army Air Corps in WW1. His legal career included being chief of the Criminal Division of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York; co-counsel with Clarence Darrow in the Famous Massie murder case in Honolulu and co-founder with General William J. Donovan of the Premiere Litigation firm of Donovan, Leisure, Newton and Lumbard. The Quaker Meeting House which was located on the Leisure Farm was gifted by the Leisure Family to North Castle Historical Society.  Mr. & Mrs. Leisure's four sons were raised on the farm. David & Michael died in 1975, George S. Jr. died in 2003 and Peter K. Leisure is a senior federal Judge, United States District Court, Southern District of New York.