All About Armonk

North Castle Daily News

Polite Open Discourse

November 15, 2014
Stories about the perils and accomplishments of our town residents include those of our government officials. Many of the topics that appear on allaboutarmonk.com are controversial. We have allowed the public to comment on certain stories, adding to the civil discourse. All comments will be considered, but allaboutarmonk.com reserves the right to not publish comments that are personal attacks. Simply put, comment on the content, not the person writing it. Comments seen here may not reflect the views of allaboutarmonk.com.

No soliciting, please.

Michelle Boyle

Armonk Post Office is a Catastrophe

What to do?

7 comments | Add a New Comment
1. Annette Barletta | June 05, 2014 at 10:03 AM EDT

I agree our postal service could be better. We get mis-directed mail a few times a month. An envelope that is addressed to Milwaukee, WI ends up in our box. That sort of thing. We know that we have not received many things, like bills. But I was told at the PO that is a systemic problem, not theirs. I have even called the main facility in White Plains and gotten all sorts of different explanations, but no solutions.

I also agree the actual post office building is old and dirty. Greenwich just moved theirs and it is gorgeous. All paneled and clean. Service excellent.

The \manager\ of the Armonk PO is definitely not people oriented and is part of the problem. Once I complained to her about not getting prescriptions. She said someone must be stealing them. That was plain ridiculous. She would not admit it was a PO service issue and she arrogantly said I had no alternative but to use the PO service. I disagreed. I said we have UPS, FedEx, etc. and I am willing to pay the extra money for better service.

I don't agree about our mail carrier. Ours is an absolute doll and brings packages to our door all the time. Leaves them safe and dry under our portico. He will also bring the mail with it. I will say that when he is off we don't get that service.

2. Mark Weston | June 05, 2014 at 10:20 AM EDT

I have a post office box, so I can't speak about mailbox delivery.

But over 45 years I have always found the post office employees

in Armonk to be courteous, helpful and friendly. I'm a fan.

3. Doug | July 02, 2014 at 08:39 AM EDT

Since we are talking about the Post Office, my mail delivery person has a new trick. When a small package is being delivered, they balance it on top of my mail box by raising the red flag to hold it there. Of course the first little breeze knocks it off and onto the ground where it tumbles around until we come home and pick it up. All this happens because they don't want to walk 20 feet and place it by the front door.

4. L. Lenley | August 12, 2014 at 06:06 AM EDT

I wholeheartedly agree, as I am always disgusted when I enter our post office facility -it is dirty, messy and understaffed. Forget about finding a pen if you need one. The lines are often long. The other day I went there to buy a box to send a small magnifying mirror to my daughter in DC, and because they are so ill-equipped, I had to go to the P.O. in Mt. Kisco for a better selection of boxes. Mt. Kisco has a much better facility, but obviously, it's not as convenient. I have had many issues over the years with mail delivery-receiving other people's mail, lost mail, delayed mail, etc. The last time I put a hold on my mail and hand delivered the notice, it was never acknowledged, and mail was stuffed into my box for several days. The town has outgrown this facility, and of course with USPC in financial crisis, we will probably never see improvements any time soon.

5. Doris Stanley | September 23, 2014 at 06:31 PM EDT

Jothy and Eric were wonderful, but things have changed. I went mast week, the clerk was chewing on some snack and then wiping her nose with her hand. When I gave her my certified letters, she told me that the Irs letter needed a P.o. Box, irs instructions to Kansas City require none, just the extra four did get code.

Attitude of new workers stin. Postal delivery can not be judged but last week I received a priority letter from NYC that took 10 days to get to my house.

There is an enormous attitude problem, maybe because we are Caucasians.

6. Carole DelSavio | June 01, 2015 at 08:33 AM EDT

As mailbox holders, we are in the post office nearly daily. The new crew that took over in the fall are hardworking and helpful. When an important piece of mail went missing this winter while we were away, Anna located it and put it safely away in our box for us. Yes, the signs should be more professionally done, and, yes, the lines are long. It would be nice if the postmaster, whoever he or she is, actually had a sign by the office door and a contact number! I often think that no one manages the place except the busy postal clerks.

7. Norma Hill | November 24, 2015 at 08:13 PM EST

It was with a huge sense of dread that I visited the Armonk post office last week, expecting the usual poor service and indifference. I was pleasantly surprised by the level of service that I received. Despite the fact that the Armonk P.O. No longer expedites passports the young lady behind the counter looked over my renewal papers, checked to see that everything was in order, suggested that I use priority mail, placed everything into the envelope, circled the tracking number and advised me on how to follow up with the passport office. All this took place after she had mopped the floors in a building without heat on the coldest day of the year. She also had a smile on her face when I left. I think her name was Anna.

Add a New Comment

(Enter the numbers shown in the above image)