All About Armonk

North Castle Daily News

Polite Open Discourse

November 15, 2014
Stories about the perils and accomplishments of our town residents include those of our government officials. Many of the topics that appear on allaboutarmonk.com are controversial. We have allowed the public to comment on certain stories, adding to the civil discourse. All comments will be considered, but allaboutarmonk.com reserves the right to not publish comments that are personal attacks. Simply put, comment on the content, not the person writing it. Comments seen here may not reflect the views of allaboutarmonk.com.

No soliciting, please.

Michelle Boyle

Do you have any suggestions for the new Town Board?

15 comments | Add a New Comment
1. Observer | December 18, 2013 at 08:14 PM EST

With all the uproar about Wampus Brook Park South, why hasn't Wampus Brook North come up in discussion. The area of the pond north of the Lions walkway is a mess, and has been for years.

There has been a shopping cart in the water for several years.

Trees on the island have fallen over and the roots are sticking up in the air and the branches are

Laying in the water.

The whole island is overgrown with brambles vines, and brush.

The vegetation around the pond has not been trimmed and is overgrown, especially on the west side by the old firehouse.

The total depth of the pond decreases every year due to sedimentation, and probably the depth at this point is about a foot deep.

The signs advising against feeding the geese are buried in brambles and brush.

The area of the pond discharge just north of the Lions walkway is blocked with sediment. There is no water here, just sand.

The lights in the park along the paths are showing their age, some are leaning, and all have seen better days.

Just a suggestion, but this area needs to be part of the discussion when talking about spending money to create a Wampus Brook South. This is what visitors to our town see, and there are a lot of visitors around during the Art Show, Fol De Rol and Frosty. Let's fix what we have first before creating more park space that maybe we can't maintain.

2. Please | December 20, 2013 at 07:26 PM EST

Please fix our roads

Please fix our infrastructure

Please fix our need for parking downtown

Please fix our northern downtown streetscape to match the new beautiful one

Please make decisions that are in the best interest of the community as a whole

Please work together.....

3. Geri M | December 20, 2013 at 09:45 PM EST

Please listen to residents' concerns with true sincerity and a willingness to look into matters accordingly without just the pro-forma nod indicating \listening.\ Admittedly I have specific concerns about access and have questioned the pro-active check-list of state adherence without need for corrective measures after the fact without full understanding. But this general advice goes for all matters of residents. There is nothing worse than being ignored when one has legitimate questions. And although this should go without saying, a return to civility and respect show is vital for public discourse.

4. DrugUser | December 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM EST

Please cease and desist on expansion. Expansion of retail. Expansion of residential. Expansion of any kind.

Please give the town time to absorb all the recent change and see if we can make it all work. Right now the population is bigger than town services can provide (budget cuts... I've been living here long enough to remember 2x/wk garbage collection) and when roads weren't potholed every 15 feet.

Thanks. Oh -- and no more box stores. If we're stuck with cvs, sobeit. But NO MORE chains or big stores. PROMISE!

5. Doug | December 21, 2013 at 07:51 PM EST

You should create a fair and just property tax base by having all homes in Armonk reassessed. I guarantee that it will provide an equitable solution to property tax complaints once it is completed.

6. Lower taxes | December 23, 2013 at 03:51 PM EST

Number one goal should be reducing costs and lowering property taxes. We've grown accustomed to receiving limited services in this Town as the cost of providing them are always ridiculously expensive given all of the state mandates and pensions and high public sector salaries. WE are quickly becoming a Town of only young people as all of the seniors are being forced out due to the high taxes. Once the next generation of non pension receiving seniors age into retirement they will all have to move as the taxes are not supportable. Do what you can to achieve this goal.......odds are Albany will be no help!

7. Senior | December 29, 2013 at 05:45 PM EST

Reducing costs and lowing taxes would be great. Just like every other municipality, town or village etc. in the country, North Castle needs more economic growth with additional ratables.... You need to balance out rising costs with new economic growth, there is such a high demand for senior housing. People are getting anxious to down size and cut costs..... Aged restricted senior housing represents fiscal responsability and fills a huge need for local residents looking to downsize. Senior housing should be a priority.

8. another senior | December 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM EST

@Senior...do you think it should be market rate senior housing or income restricted senior housing? Is it a matter of seniors not able to afford housing because their income is too low or that seniors need a place to hang out with other seniors?

9. Senior | December 30, 2013 at 04:17 PM EST

Market rate senior... Senior housing that fits the profile for people who live here and want to down size. a housing type that conforms to the town. My kids are out of school and on their own.. My wife and I can hear ourselves echo in our home and my taxes are over 30k. We would like to stay here but it just doesn't make sense anymore. I'd like to down size, cut my expenses, live better and stay in the town I raised my kids in. I've looked at an empty lot downtown for the past 20 yrs, now it looks beautiful and my wife and I would like to atleast enjoy it over the next 20. If we can downsize here

10. another senior | January 04, 2014 at 09:22 AM EST

@senior... if it's only downsizing you're interested in, why not just buy a smaller home or advocate for townhouses in general? Why do they have to be age restricted?

11. Senior | January 04, 2014 at 09:56 PM EST

At an older age We want a new home, not renovations to do. A new smaller non- age restricted townhouse would be fine with us. I wrote age restricted being on the topic of senior housing and fiscal responsibility, I think they mesh well with each other. If you have age restrictions I cant see how the Town Can pass on the opportunity. After all its very difficult to go through the permitting processes in Armonk. It took me so long to get permission to build my pool that I almost forgot how to swim. @ other senior.... What do you think?

12. another senior | January 08, 2014 at 06:54 PM EST

@Senior...Any kind of multifamily housing, whether age restricted or not, requires public sewer and water. Both are limited to certain areas of town. The town would probably have to change the zoning of more parcels to accommodate more multifamily units. It will probably take a lot longer to do that than for you to have someone renovate that smaller home old home.

13. Senior | January 09, 2014 at 07:49 PM EST

Water, sewer, no renovations, maintenance free ( I would assume desire), being close to downtown where water and sewer is available, I don't have to go to The Gym or Brynwood ( very nice of them, thank you) to take a shower and use the bathroom when the power goes out. How wonderful that would be. Your right, can't imagine something like that not taking a long time. I'll probably end up taking my disposable income and property taxes as an empty nester somewhere else. It's needed and it would be great to have that option here. I think I made my point. Thank you.

14. Non Senior | January 14, 2014 at 02:47 PM EST

Follow your conscience and the Golden Rule. Protect the Historic District.

15. Jerry | January 22, 2014 at 09:00 PM EST

After watching the January 22 town board meeting and, the number of people who spoke out against the rehiring of Joan Goldberg, my suggestion to the town board is to fire Joan Goldberg immediately, or at the very least let her serve out the remainder of her contract and find a new town administrator. I would also suggest if the board wants to retain a shred of credibility, they should answer the question that was posed several times of why this board would rehire Joan Goldberg after she had already been terminated for very good reasons.

Add a New Comment

(Enter the numbers shown in the above image)