All About Armonk

North Castle Daily News

Polite Open Discourse

November 15, 2014
Stories about the perils and accomplishments of our town residents include those of our government officials. Many of the topics that appear on allaboutarmonk.com are controversial. We have allowed the public to comment on certain stories, adding to the civil discourse. All comments will be considered, but allaboutarmonk.com reserves the right to not publish comments that are personal attacks. Simply put, comment on the content, not the person writing it. Comments seen here may not reflect the views of allaboutarmonk.com.

No soliciting, please.

Michelle Boyle

Handicapped Parking

You know who you are, please stop parking in handicap spaces.

11 comments | Add a New Comment
1. Iris Samuels | July 04, 2014 at 12:44 AM EDT

I have a Handicap sticker..I have seen this one woman drive her Mercedes in to a Handicapped spot for years...At the AP..now at the new Supermarket .. I have seen a White Cadillac park in front of The Town Pharmacy on the side that says DO NOT PARK ... and when I said NO PARKING HERE...HE gave me the FINGER..CLASSY PEOPLE...AND ANOTHER TIME SAME PLACE IN FRONT OF THE PHARMACY AND WOMAN WAS WAITING FOR HER DAUGHTER CAUSE RAIN DROPS WERE FALLING...AND I TOLD HER WHERE SHE WAS PARKED WAS NOT ALLOWED AND SHE CALLED ME A BITCH. HOW ABOUT THE DOUBLE PARKING ON MAIN STREET??? PICKING UP AND DROPPING OF THEIR CHILDREN. AND THE BEST..DOUBLE PARKING IN FRONT OF THE POST OFFICE AND PUTTING YOUR CAR IN PARK AND PUTTING ON YOUR HAZZARD LIGHTS SO YOU CAN MAIL A LETTER. A CLASSY TOWN...IT WAS ...NOT NOW ..NO NEARLY CLASSY. IF ARMONK NEEDS A WAY TO MAKE MONEY HIRE SOMEONE TO CHECK THE HANDICAP SPOTS...YOU WOULD MAKE A FORTUNE.

2. eefs | July 04, 2014 at 06:38 AM EDT

It's the typical sense of entitlement that Armonk residents have. the old timers would never do this. I'd wager the type of car, the age of the drivers, and even pinpoint the general neighborhood or location of the homes of those who are doing this.

It's disgraceful. STOP acting like the world owes you something. The handicapped spots belong to those who NEED THEM; not to you, \just for a second.\ EVER.

3. NWH | July 08, 2014 at 09:25 PM EDT

Recently I sat on the bench outside the post office for about 30 minutes. During this time eight cars parked in the handicapped parking space illegally. One individual driving a Yukon SUV with a vanity plate parked his vehicle, gave me a defiant stare and went on his way. He returned five minutes later grinning with satisfaction got into his vehicle and drove off. How lazy or arrogant can one be?

4. Solly | July 10, 2014 at 06:41 AM EDT

Why isn't this enforced? While our police officers are busy, why can't the Chief of Police \deputize\ few citizens (retirees, perhaps?) to monitor the goings on of these spaces, and permit them to issue tickets immediately upon the infraction being committed?

5. Gimp | July 10, 2014 at 07:47 AM EDT

People who don't need a handicapped parking space should thank their lucky stars. There are a very limited number of handicapped spaces in town, and people without permits who use them are extremely thoughtless and lazy.

I have an issue with the library parking lot - there is one handicapped space on the lower level, and one on the upper level. There is no elevator to get to the second floor of the library so people who can't manage stairs are out of luck if the one parking space on the upper level is taken. There should be another space in that area designated for handicapped parking.

6. 60YearResident | July 12, 2014 at 10:17 AM EDT

I agree with the sentiments previously expressed. Wait until the CVS opens, and you will the privileged class parking in the fire lane like they did when the building housed the AP. And they are the same wastes of life who park in the drive-thru lane of Citibank. Perhaps they are the same people who consider all of Main Street a pedestrian crosswalk.

A parking enforcement officer is a good idea. Write tickets for these offenses. Write tickets for those who use the DeCiccos's lot as all day parking. And if/when a municipal parking lot/district is created, this officer can enforce the rules there, which would be preferable to installing parking meters.

7. Geri Mariano | July 23, 2014 at 04:22 PM EDT

It is heartening to see this reminder article and all the supportive comments about this infuriating subject.

This summer I am a 42 resident of North Castle and I and my family have always had a vested interest in Handicapped Parking Space since I have congenital defects of all parts skeletal. I have walked with prosthethics since 1 and 1/2 years old and have used 2 canes as additional aids for the past 10+ years. I often had problems finding available handicapped parking spaces ...even for the few years I worked at the AUMC b/c Nursery School parents thought nothing of parking in the few spaces to \run\ in and pick up their young children.

If one can \run\ ...there is no reason one needs to park in a handicapped space specifically reserved for those with mobility limitations. Oh how I wish I could know the feeling of \running\ if only to go in and out quickly of a store or a post office or a school.

Some people say it's an entitlement particular to Armonk these days but please know that the problem is prevalent everywhere anytime. Yes, it's partly entitlement but it's also partly cluelessness that there really are others around who can benefit from these spaces.

One of the most ironic statments I hear frequently is from various people who have sustained a temporary injury -- either from accident or surgery. \I never knew how hard it is to get around with crutches (or wheelchair)\ or \I never realized how rude and selfish people can be parking in handicapped spaces.\ I always shake my head in agreement but inside I'm a bit more frustrated as I have dealt with these kinds of situations my whole life.

I also wish the Police could find a better way of targeting those parking illegally (perhaps a camera as in running red lights violators?). And while I do not wish injury on anyone one, I do wish people who continue to be thoughtless would consider what it might be like to not be able to \run\ in and out so quickly...as one never knows when a life changing injury can happen and would have to use a handicapped space for legitimate purposes.

8. Linda | July 25, 2014 at 08:15 AM EDT

This is a topic near and dear to me as I have a nephew with CP in a wheelchair. When we take him out using my sister's handicapped equipped van, we often have trouble finding a parking space. ANd people often don't leave room in angled parking for the ramp to be lowered by parking in the blue stripes. People have become inconsiderate and in too much of a hurry. SLOW down and think of others!

9. JG | August 30, 2014 at 10:44 PM EDT

Why is there so little enforcement? One time I called the police when I saw a huge SUV park in front of the Post Office, and a nanny got out and walked down the street. No permit. I told the officer who answered the phone that the car was there, and asked it I could send them a photo.

The answer is: No, they need to see the car themselves. The way residents of this town are taking up Handicap spaces with no permits, we could pay for an enforcement officer with money collected in fines.

People also need reminding that just \\\standing\\\ or waiting in your car in the Handicap spot isn't allowed either. The handicapped person who needs the spot can't just get out of their car and go knock on the window of the person sitting there. The handicapped driver is effectively blocked.

I agree the library would benefit from another Handicap spot on the higher level, maybe next to the drop boxes. But what's wrong with parking in the empty lane at Citibank? That isn't a drive-thru lane, as they don't offer that service. The Citibank lots gets filled, and that lane offers one more spot.

10. Doug | September 04, 2014 at 08:15 PM EDT

Since Citibank was just mentioned, why is there no one hour parking limit in front of Citi bank like there is in the center of town and like there is in front of all the stores across from Citi bank? Some people park in front of Citi bank all day long which hurts the nearby stores.

11. Wt | November 21, 2014 at 12:01 AM EST

Unfortunately this problem will never go away. The problem really is with the \ smiling police officer that asked if the car could be moved\ if the police officer was stern, and issued an $80 summons, at least this idiot would probably not park there again. I'm sure that now that that person got away with it, they will continue to park in handicapped spots. These violations need to be enforced if you want them to stop.

Add a New Comment

(Enter the numbers shown in the above image)