All About Armonk

North Castle Daily News

Polite Open Discourse

November 15, 2014
Stories about the perils and accomplishments of our town residents include those of our government officials. Many of the topics that appear on allaboutarmonk.com are controversial. We have allowed the public to comment on certain stories, adding to the civil discourse. All comments will be considered, but allaboutarmonk.com reserves the right to not publish comments that are personal attacks. Simply put, comment on the content, not the person writing it. Comments seen here may not reflect the views of allaboutarmonk.com.

No soliciting, please.

Michelle Boyle

What does the Armonk Eagle represent to you?

7 comments | Add a New Comment
1. Mark Weston | March 18, 2013 at 01:54 PM EDT

Do we have to repair the eagle? While the original craftsmanship was excellent, the eagle is still rather militaristic, and unfortunately it is also reminiscent of the eagle used at the Nuremburg rally in 1934.

Most towns don't have eagles at their entrances. Our eagle was put up for the bicentennial in 1976, but that doesn't mean it needs to be there forever.

37 years is a long enough run. Let's save money and put the eagle in a lower and less prominent place where wind won't be a factor. The repair money can be better spent elsewhere. -- Mark Weston (45-year resident)

2. Doris Stanley | March 18, 2013 at 05:33 PM EDT

The eagle is part of the town history, it should be preserved!

3. Troy Soka | March 18, 2013 at 11:19 PM EDT

Although I no longer live (or pay taxes) in Westchester the Armonk Eagle will always be very important to me and would love to see it made permanent. My father (Art Soka) passed away January 5, 2010, after a long life of creating meaningful artwork like the Armonk Eagle.

One of the last things I remember him asking me was \"is my eagle still there?\". He had moved to FL about 10 years before. I told him I thought it was, but I really did not know. Well yesterday (3/17/13) I went back to Armonk for the first time in several years and went to see his eagle. And It looked great to me. I was very moved to see a plaque had been place at the base crediting him for the design. I was a little sad he never got to see it.

He was a 48-year resident of Armonk and clearly loved the place and the people. Surprisingly he did not love the eagle part of the Armonk Eagle. He to thought eagle silhouettes had been used as symbols by groups he would not want to support. As a bleeding-hart-liberal the similarity to the Republican Party eagle always made him uneasy.

But the Armonk Eagle has clearly risen above any vague association to other eagles. It has become its own symbol. A symbol of North Castle resident's strong sense of fellowship amongst neighbors.

I was only 7, but the way that town came together to celebrate the bicentennial is something I will never forget. My mother took fife lessons for 8 weeks with 25 other people from from town, so they could have a fife and drum corps march in the parade. I remember thinking that was crazy, all the effort learning to play an instrument for just one day. But I understand now that its not just abut getting to X; sometimes its about how you get to X.

Armonk doesn't need a giant eagle by the side of the road welcoming people to town. But we got one. And the story of how we got that giant eagle is an incredible one of community and love of country. It is a story that should be past down to new residents. it is a story that should be preserved.

4. Eagle Observer | March 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM EDT

Mr. Weston: With due respect, a comparison of the North Castle Eagle to ANY element of the Nazi movement is inappropriate and completely off base. And what does it matter that most towns don't have eagles at their entrances? This is a North Castle tradition and to link it in any way to a Nazi symbol is completely absurd. If you print out an image of those Nazi symbols and hold it up in front of our Eagle you will see how wrong you are. Militaristic? Are you kidding? How about patriotic! Or is that term too politically incorrect for you?

5. Maria S. | April 07, 2013 at 12:15 PM EDT

Thank you, Troy, for sharing your fond memories. I was in town for the bicentennial parade, too, and can recall the community camaraderie you describe. It was definitely special.

May the Armonk Eagle soar!

6. Barbara Greer | August 26, 2013 at 10:18 PM EDT

Interesting comments...politically speaking, knowing (and respecting both), art soka and mark weston could have been friends with a meeting of the minds on this issue..art once told me that he never thought his (blue ) eagle would remain on it's 1976 location because he never considered it a major work of art...he designed and built it for the occasion...

As for me, I'd love to see it in a nice green or brown!

7. Eli F. | June 01, 2014 at 08:09 PM EDT

I live in Armonk almost 12 years and still have the same impression about this so called eagle. The first second I saw this \symbol\ I could not get rid of the feeling that this is one of the ugliest \artworks\ been put on the public display. Seriously, you will never see anything like this in any civilized European city or town (large or small).

Add a New Comment

(Enter the numbers shown in the above image)